Author Topic: A snake story!  (Read 993 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A snake story!
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:44:28 AM »
We found this black snake headed up a tree along our driveway yesterday morning.  There were two Tufted Titmouses dive bombing the snake.  As we were moving around taking pics we noticed something in the grass, it was baby Tufted Titmouses (or would it be Titmice?)  They couldn't fly yet, only hop.  We found five of them and started gathering them up and putting them in one spot at the base of a tree away from the snake.  While we did this the Mama and Papa started dive bombing us, hubby and I both got hit in the head! :D

The snake had gone up into the tree, but ended up coming back down, its amazing to see how they can hold onto a bare tree trunk.  He was at least five feet long, probably closer to six.  In the end, hubby caught him and relocated him further down the driveway in a hollow tree.  Can you see him peeking out?

Don'tcha just love summer days like this?  When a morning of mowing grass can turn into an adventure.  Guess I have Spring fever.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:48:52 AM by Indiana Karen »

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A snake story!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »
That's wonderful!  @O@

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »
Cool!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:51:38 PM »
Wow, what a fabulous driveway!

I also thought "Titmice" would be the logical plural.  :D I wonder if the parents put two and two together and eventually realized that you saved their babies? We had an incident where a baby Cardinal flew into our garage, and it took us 2 hours to get him out. The father was furious with his offspring- repeatedly trying to get it out while we were "not interfering", but it refused to budge. Finally, Kevin climbed up onto the '68 Caddy, pried the baby off the bicycle tire, and walked him over to the Pear tree, where the father was waiting.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »
What a great story and pictures, Karen!!!   @O@
I wonder if the baby titmice were eventually found and relocated by their parents.  I hope so.   o(:-)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
I surprised the snake didn't go after the baby Titmice. Maybe they were too big for him to swallow. Maybe he thought there were eggs up the tree. I'm glad anyway you saved the babies. Well I'm glad too you were able to relocate the snake. He was just doing what he is programmed to do I suppose. Probably parents would try to get the babies under a bush and then take care of them there. I've seen that before.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"