Author Topic: Capturing tropicals  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Capturing tropicals
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
All my Thai tropicals I bought on a recent trip are blooming. This is Thongsook, a miracle of a flower even at this early stage plant size. But just how to capture the neon incandescent vibrancy? I don't know if this is possible. I really don't. Light is the most difficult thing to capture on an image, never mind the neon spectrum which so many of the tropicals have. Here is a rather and I kid you not dull impression of it. The yellow is not nearly so bland and there are no green overtones on the flower at all.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:27:03 PM by Cedric »

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing tropicals
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »
That is just stunning!

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »
It's just Beautiful !  o(:-)

bonnie

Offline Cedric

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
Notice our weird little honey bees? They have no sting these ones, and the honey is delicious. They make a small comb straight on the branches of the trees packed with light amber sweet slightly perfumed honey. They sell it in the comb at the market along with all the bees still happily tending it.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »
Wow, absolutely breath taking!!  Great pic!  O0

Kuan

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »
That is SOOOOOOO beautiful.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:07:11 PM »
 o(:-)  Stunning! 

The best photos I've gotten...the one that sort of accurately capture the color of both my roses and the lilies are taken on rainy days.  Otherwise, the color is too intense, too saturated.  The camera can't manage it. 

That's interesting about the bees.  We have a wild hive about a hundred yards from the pond.  The bees make frequent stops to drink and visit the lilies.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
That's gorgeous!!!   o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
Beautiful! I love the stingless bees, wish we had those but I don't think so. 

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:08:01 PM »
o(:-)  Stunning! 

The best photos I've gotten...the one that sort of accurately capture the color of both my roses and the lilies are taken on rainy days.  Otherwise, the color is too intense, too saturated.  The camera can't manage it. 

That's interesting about the bees.  We have a wild hive about a hundred yards from the pond.  The bees make frequent stops to drink and visit the lilies.

Flower colours really are difficult to capture. Orchids are another difficult customer. Do you use a filter to cut out the ultra violet light? I think this might be what I need. I just use a Lumix FX7 pocket camera, nice dark blue one, it has a very good Leica lense, but unfortunately you can't attach filters to these.

Think yellow is one of the hardest, unless its a primary yellow. I noticed Thongsook and all the tropical yellow cultivars and hybrids pictured on WGI web site are not true to colour, they all look almost white.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:12:08 PM by Cedric »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
My kind of tropical.....My kind of bees too  :)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »
I get accurate color when I use my manual white balance. You need to take a photo of a piece of white paper like a tissue or coffee filter where you plan to take the photo to set the white balance. After the white balance is set you can get an accurate representation. Not all digital camera's have manual white balance.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
At last. I will try that Sean that sound right, my camera has a white balance function.
It's been raining heavily non stop for four weeks, as you can see anything I post is covered in rain drops. So the light hasn't been strong. Thongsook appears quite strong in the rain, where others might have been flattened this one holds up reasonably well, Royal Red even better, dead straight even in black weather warning, and high, very high out the water, very nice, very plucky.

I found a lucky seedling that travelled amongst the roots of Thongsook from Thailand, could be interesting. For some reason I seem to remember being told N 'Thongsook was fertile, maybe it was used to create N 'Sadchaipol. Im going to have to phone Sam's daughter soon as Sam is almost completely phone deaf. But he sold me as far as I know only fertile plants and all relating somehow to N. 'Larp. I left the choice of plants completely up to him.

Sadchaipol is a splendid one, stunning shape, like a big bowl, big as your hand, like when you hold up a melon, in Thailand it grows like that at any rate. Should do well here. I will post it as it opens.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"