Author Topic: Itchy weed by the pond/yard, kind of stings  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Itchy weed by the pond/yard, kind of stings
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
I don't know what it is or was.  It started out looking kind of like carrot tops, then it was very lush and green.  Then it started going nuts and blooming little white flowers.  Decided to yank it out tonight, and it was like little needles to my arms and hands, it stung.  What ever it is, its vicious and gone.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Itchy weed by the pond/yard, kind of stings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »
Yikes Kim, it looks a LOT like Conium maculatum aka Poison Hemlock! :o
Please make sure you washed your hands extremely well!!!
How are you feeling now? :-\
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conium
Was it growing in regualr soil or damp to wet soil?
Cuz it could also be Water Hemlock: Cicuta virosa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicuta
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »
We all seem to be alright now, after we washed our hands and arms the sting went away.  We all came in and washed our arms down.  Its just in a regular soil, under a bird feeder and full sun.  This had grown to about 3-4 foot tall.  Its all gone, and will stay gone. 

Kim
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:22:06 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
"The most important and toxic of these is coniine. Coniine is a neurotoxin, which disrupts the workings of the peripheral nervous system and is toxic to people and all classes of livestock. Coniine causes death by blocking the neuromuscular junction in a manner similar to curare; this results in an ascending muscular paralysis with eventually paralysis of the respiratory muscles which results in death due to lack of oxygen to the heart and brain. Death can easily be prevented by artificial ventilation until the effects have worn off 48-72 hours later. Ingestion of Poison Hemlock in any quantity can result in respiratory collapse and death"

I REALLY hope you are wearing protection... Me I would be building a fire...
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »
"The most important and toxic of these is coniine. Coniine is a neurotoxin, which disrupts the workings of the peripheral nervous system and is toxic to people and all classes of livestock. Coniine causes death by blocking the neuromuscular junction in a manner similar to curare; this results in an ascending muscular paralysis with eventually paralysis of the respiratory muscles which results in death due to lack of oxygen to the heart and brain. Death can easily be prevented by artificial ventilation until the effects have worn off 48-72 hours later. Ingestion of Poison Hemlock in any quantity can result in respiratory collapse and death"

I REALLY hope you are wearing protection... Me I would be building a fire...
Andy

Yikes! Kim, I hope you're OK!...
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »
If that is what it was, YES were all alright.  Weird that it just popped up this year.

Kim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"