Author Topic: Raccoon Encounter  (Read 1046 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Raccoon Encounter
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »
Just got home from bunco, DH is out with one of the husbands so the house was dark. I get out of the car and head to the front door. I bend down to pet Marmalade and notice a big raccoon is in the center pond. Not ten feet from me. He was fishing with his paws along the sides. He looked at me and then went back to fishing. There are no fish in this pond. Only frogs. I stood there and watched him but itched for my camera. I don't have a camera phone. He was in between me and the front door so I went in through the garage door. He still didn't move. I grabbed my camera but the noise of the lens extending scared him off. He ran like hell and I was unable to get a single photo!

I stood outside my car long enough to call two people and tell them about the raccoon and he wasn't bothered by my voice at all or the car pulling into the driveway. I need a new phone!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Raccoon Encounter
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:37:14 AM »
He'll be back.  o(:-)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:39:11 AM »
Sure glad he was in a fishless pond! :o Bummer about not getting the shot!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:56:42 AM »
Like Sunbeam said, he'll be back.  I'm still (after all my encounters with coons all of my life) surprised by their lack of fear and their brazenness!  It's probably because they are always there watching us, they know our comings and goings and occasionally we do something out of sequence and catch them at something.  Then they go about doing what they were doing without seeming concern and go on their way. ( BTW we live trapped 13 racoons from our garage this spring  :o )
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »
Oh, I know he'll be back. There are coons in my front ponds almost every night. What was unusual was that he didn't run when my car pulled up and I got out.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
Funny that the camera click scared him.  Mayb that will be a new way to detrer the little bandits?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »
My camera makes a weird noise when it is turned on and the lens extends. I didn't manage to click. He ran like hell.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
my cousin was attacked by a coon a few weeks ago and she is having to go take a series of shoots.  They can really get aggressive.

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"