Author Topic: Any tricks to keyboard cleaning?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Any tricks to keyboard cleaning?
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »
My keyboard is filthy. I don't want to buy a new one. I love it's ergonomic shape and I haven't found one similar.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Any tricks to keyboard cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »
Hi LeeAnne,

Turn it upside down and tap .....EWWWWWW. :-)~

An old toothbrush dampened with just alittle bit of cleaning solution is a good tool to use for cleaning one.

Do you ever take a vac to it ?

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:52:16 AM »
I use rubbing alcohol to clean mine.

I once heard you can place them in the dishwasher but need to allow it to dry for such a long time before plugging it back in. I put my cordless phone in the dishwasher and left it on a heat vent to dry over night. Worked like a charm the following day.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:56:25 PM »
LeeAnne, I run into this every day with my end users. Buy a can of compressed air (any compusa or officemax ) http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&prodBlockOID=1611391007&expansionOID=-536891906
and use it to blow it out.  Turn it over and tap the bottom to knock anything loose and then blow it out. If you have access to and air compressor you can use that just turn down the pressure to avoid blowing the keys off  :-\  Past that use a wipe, baby wipes even work, to clean the grime off the keys. Need to avoid harsh cleaners or you will clean the letters right off the keyboard or cause a short and ruin it. Alcohol works but disconnect the keyboard first and blow it out. If not you can actually cause bigger issues when al the crap starts to cling together down inside. Also id your keyboard has the little rubber pads under the keys it can break down the rubber and ruin the keyboard. Just an fyi
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »
Compressed air was what we always used when I was in the consulting biz . . . . gets the most amazing things outa the ditzes computer keyboards . . . . .

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »
Leeanne,
Forget the compressed air can. Spray it down with some type of household cleaner, blow it off with an air compressor, 100 psi, wipe it off, and let it dry.

HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then plug it in.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »
I shook it upside down, not much came out. I sprayed it with compressed air, not much came out.
I wiped it down with household cleaning wipes and it did make a big difference. Don't know why I did't think of that, I have them in the bathroom and kitchen.

I took the caps off the keys once and it does have rubber thingys. It took months for the keys to work right after that so I don't want to do that again. Many of my keys don't have the letters on them anymore but I really love this keyboard.

Anyway, it is much cleaner. I wiped everything else in the office while I was at it and put the container of wipes in a drawer in here.

They were cheap at Costco as were the compressed air cans.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline seanmckinney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:46 AM »
Where dirt can get inside the keyboard I take mine apart and wash it in the bath or sink, the keys normally just pop off.
On this one the keys sit in hollows in the case put the key slide up and down inside individual projections from the bottom of the hollow, so dirt cant get inside. The easiest way to clean this key board would be pop the keys off and and was them and then wipe out the hollow around all the projections.
If you literally wash it you must dry it thoroughly and I wouldn't recommend "washing" if you don't strip the keyboard down because water may be trapped between the contact films etc!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"