Author Topic: Flooding in IN---- Indiana Karen/Brian.. you safe?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Flooding in IN---- Indiana Karen/Brian.. you safe?
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »
Northern and Mid parts of Indiana got pounded.. bad.

Thoughts and Prayers are with you and others, hoping everything is fine with you two.

Bonnie

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding in IN---- Indiana Karen/Brian.. you safe?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »
I was wondering about Indiana Karen, too.   :o  Didn't realize that Brian was from that area as well.  I hope they are OK. 

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:51:46 AM »
Sandye, Brian is outside of Indy and I don't THINK got the flooding that Karen's area did.

He most likely got alot of rain in a short amount of time but I'm not sure about flooding?

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:15:38 AM »
We've been pounded here too. Just north of me got 12", and we're just short of that. A number of folks that I work with couldn't get through this am.
River is over it's bank too. My ponds are full {:-P;; :o
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:01 AM »
My ponds are full {:-P;; :o
Steve

Mine are, too.  :o I'm starting to worry about the septic system, though. The laundry is starting to pile up...  ::) :-\
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »
I'm back @O@

Been without internet since Saturday morning.  We had approximately 10 inches of rain overnight.  Lots of flooding in our area.  Our house sits on a hill so we are fine, except our driveway crosses a creek.  Our son's basement flooded.  He lives in the house that hubby grew up in and it had never flooded since 1956!  He didn't have a pump and we couldn't get out of our drive to take one to him.  A very nice neighbor helped him out.

We got on our 4-wheeler and rode around to see the damage.  Just unbelievable :'(

Interstate 70 washed out a few miles from our house and they rerouted the traffic onto Highway 40.  We live on a county road between 40 and 70, so all of the local traffic was on our road as well as a lot of the 70 traffic (people trying to find a way around town to miss the stoplights), including semis >:(-  It finally reopened Monday evening.

Here's a pic of our driveway where it crosses our bridge, it washed out our gravel really bad.  Hubby got it all graded and fixed up and we've had two more gully washers since Saturday.  Sure is a disaster for all the farmers that were already running behind because of a very wet spring.  By the time the fields dry out, it will probably be too late to plant. 

Also a pic of a small field that we had planted in pumpkins.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:18:07 AM by Indiana Karen »

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
Sixty percent of our county roads are washed out or damaged. 

Here are a couple we found in our area.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
Checking in....  I just got back in town last night.  My mom's cousin passed away last week, and the funeral scheduled for Saturday in Brazil IN was cancelled because of the roads.  Karen, I had no idea they were THAT bad!!  We got hit about 12 miles south of me, in the town of Franklin where I work.  Here are some pictures taken by my co-worker.  He lives in the red brick apartments next to the city park baseball diamonds.  You can see the yellow tubing that covers the top of the fence.  The other pictures shows another co-worker's house where the foundation gave way and water rushed into his basement.  A structural engineer is surprised his house is still standing!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:28:38 AM by Brian »
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:26:38 AM »
Water damage to co-worker's foundation
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »
There are very many roads washed out here and a 267 acre lake breached just north of  the dam, and drained just north of me the other day. The lake made a path to the Wisconsin River, and it and the homes that got washed away are now in Lake Wisconsin. Which is right here.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:42:09 AM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:14:45 AM »
Steve, I just watched a video of that. Lake Delton in the Dells, right?
The video shows a 3 story house getting washed away.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-wisconsin-floodsjun11,0,313266.story?track=rss

Karen & Brian, I'm glad you and yours are OK. Sorry about the flooding.
Karen

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
Steve, I saw the video of the homes crashing down on the national news.  I wonder, did the homeowners have any advance warning so they could get some of their personal belongings?

Brian, a lot of weddings were also cancelled at the last minute.  Such a loss, since all of the reception food was already prepared.

Hubby flew Monday and got some pics of the flooding.  Here is one of an airport near Bloomfield, IN.  Several of his friends keep their small planes and ultralights in these hangers.  There are around thirty five airplanes kept there.  Three of the guys took their planes out and tied them down on a high spot near the runway in hopes of saving them, it didn't help.

Karen

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »
The power of water is awesome. Out on the great lakes it always had my respect. And in terms of floods, once it starts, pretty much no stopping it. Down in Indiana and the flat lands area it just seems to go/be everywhere. Up here, it's the valleys that really get hit the hardest.
In fact, I have a 250 mile motorcycle ride planned for Sat. and it will go through all of these valleys that I am talking about. I am sure that I won't be able to get to some of the places that I have planned, but it doesn't really matter, I'm just out for a great ride.
The people who lost their houses for the most part were not even there. One guy, 10 min. before his house fell, was out on his front porch getting his lawn chairs. CRAZY :o
Lake Delton is part of the Dells. Tommy Bartlet water ski show is from here..
Here is a pic of my bosses house with the cliff that washed into Lake Wisconsin. there used to be steps with a pier at the bottom, boat lifts, etc. With more rain, more will go. Don't really know what's next. Except for more heavy rain for tomorrow and tomorrow night.
Not good :o

Steve
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:23:35 PM by EagleEye »

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »
We've been to the Tommy Bartlett Show many times.  I remember the first time we went,  I was about 10 years old.  My Mom was so mad when we came out of the show and they had put a bumper sticker on her car. lol  It's hard to believe that the lake is gone.  We will be passing through next month, we'll be sure and take a drive through the Dells to see the damage. 

Karen
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:47:49 PM by Indiana Karen »

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »
Wow, great pictures you two.  I'm glad you're both personally safe and didn't have too much damage to your houses/properties.  Floods can sure cause a lot of damage.  :(

Brian, I cracked up at the "Idiots" caption in your picture.   lol

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:12 PM »
Sandye,
I just looked and am happy to see that the new round of storms started just northeast of you. O0

Steve

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
That's good news!  @O@  Well, for us at least...I guess it isn't good news for the people north of us.   :-\

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
Steve, I just looked at the radar and Wisconsin is getting slammed again.

Amazing pics. Not good for the people, but amazing in that nature can do so much damage and we have no control over it.
Karen

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
Good Grief!  I just looked at the news on MSNBC, and Cedar Rapids, Iowa (large city) is being flooded now.  I still say, this has been a very strange year, weatherwise.   :(

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »
The power of nature is awesome to say the least. A lot of lives have been devestated :'(
All of the roads around here are under water or mud slides. I'll take some pics on Sat. when I go west on my bike. I won't be happy doing this, but I'll take some. I try to imagine putting myself in the place of family's who have lost everythilng-----just can't do it.

Karen-----we don't control mother nature, as you know.

All that I can say is to be grateful for what you have.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:20:49 PM by EagleEye »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
My heart goes out to each and everyone of you all and your surrounding neighbors.  Geeez, its awlful.

We have been lucky here this year, thus far.  Guess ours are 2 and 3 years ago, when we had those super cell storms.  Had so much distruction.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
Went for a 200 mile ride today with some friends and the rivers are down in their banks, (pretty much) and the roads are repaired for the most part. The tree's are cut off of the roads. Now the cleanup begins.
Here are a few pics from outside of town.
Steve

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
oh my, this is awful, glad you guys are ok.

Joann

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »
Those roads look a lot like ours Steve, however, we went for a ride yesterday and were surprised at how many roads have been repaired.  Two of the main highways in our county are still closed because of washed out bridges.

Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"