Author Topic: Sean, a question about tropical water lily tubers  (Read 755 times)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sean, a question about tropical water lily tubers
« on: June 17, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »
I have several tubers that will not sprout. I have 2 N. immutabilis, an N. atrans and N. blue gigantea. None of them has sprouted this year.  And they are all Aussies. I have been floating in baggies in and aquarium and now in one of my ponds. The N. immutabilis grew last year did not flower but made a tuber. The N. atrans was growing but went down on me in the aquarium last year and never resprouted. Same thing with N blue gigantea, it went down in the aquarium. I had a friend that suggested I let one tuber dry out for a few days and sometimes they will sprout. I tried that with an N. immutabilis and so far it did not work. Do I pot them up for the summer? Or store them again like I did all winter?

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Sean, a question about tropical water lily tubers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »
Just pot them up and get them outside, they need natural sun to sprout and an aquarium just will not cut it. Make sure not to bury the crown of the tuber. Hotter water will help too, temps in the 90F area are ideal. Do you have any submersible aquarium heaters you can use outdoors in a smaller container of water for these individual tubers?

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
Yes I have 2 tubs with aquarium heaters. They have a window and clear plastic over them too. I need to put a therometer in there too.  It is kind of like a cold frame. I will try that. Thanks

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
That should work well.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"