Author Topic: ~From DRAB.. to sorta' FAB ?!?! ;) ( pics .. backyard landscape and plantings )  (Read 1483 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
Hey all.  Thought I'ld post some pics of what I've been up to when not creating ponds. I've mostly all put this together this past month. It's been so much work around the blistering heat down here in south texas.... lots of BEER and rest breaks inbetween mulching, edging, planting, hauling rock... etc  ;)
enjoy !

THE BEFORE PICS :

AND SOME AFTER PICS :

THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE XERASCAPING PLANTS. IT'S CALLED BY ONE NAME AS THE BAT EYE BUSH.  IF YOU LOOK CLOSE... THE PURPLE CENTERS WITH THE WHITE.. LOOK LIKE LITTLE BAT FACES !! :d

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:50:58 AM by spanishleprachaun »
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
AND HERE I WAS BARELY ABLE TO CAPTURE MY FIRST HUMMINGBIRD.  NOT SURE WHAT TYPE THOUGH. POSSIBLE THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES ? 

**** Now all I have to do is install the water feature I want in one of the corners, bird feeder, tin art along back fence, slate stone path and patio for the grill, rope lighting under the eve, exterior speakers, and concrete stain the patio !!!! Alwayssssssssssssssssss something to do ;)

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
You xeriscape with bat faced cuphea????  :o
I've been planting it at the water's edge...

• Members
    • View Profile
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ?!?!?!?!  It will survive in moist to basically having it's feet wet ?!?!? never heard such a thing--- always thought it would rot away.   Down here,.. seen it used in the hottest, most dry flower beds and rock gardens for it's tolerence against drought and dry conditions.  Now u have me itchin to experiment ! woo hoo !
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Carlos that's possibly a Costa Hummingbird.  I have one nesting in my patio!  o(:-)  Great shot of the cutie in flight.

I see cuphea planted in lots of places here too in xeriscaping.

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
Carlos, what a transformation! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for your water feature :) What is growing behind the pic of the hummer against the fence with what looks like an orange tiny flower?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
I can't imagine you not having an existing pond....  Is this your yard or something you are working on for someone else?  And I thought Texas was all flat.  Looks like the yard has a slope to it...  Nice transformation but like Toosie above I look forward to what you will do when you add water....lots of water....and rocks...  O0

I'm 0 for 2 with the bat-face plant (Cuphea llavea).  I don't know if it is because my property used to be dairy land for many years or what but much of my soil is hydrophobic.  Right....my soil has a phobia problem  ::) lol.   Hydrophobic soil is soil that repels water.  Once my soil dries out it reacts to water like a freshly waxed car reacts to water.  The water beads up and runs off.  I'm thinking I lost the plants because I didn't have a drip system in place at the time.  I may have to try again but I don't like the idea of being 0 for 3.....  :P
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Hey Carlos,
Very nice O0,
I love the curved lines and the mulch / rocks. I also really like the rusty metal edging. I work in the sheet metal industy and have always thought of doing a metal edge and letting it rust. Now, after seeing yours, I think that I'll try a section and see what I think.
I would be interested in knowing what product you will stain the cement with. I have always thought that cement was too sterile looking for my taste. I have a cement drive in the back and walkway in the front that I have considered staining. I'll watch your progress.
Have you considered doing something with the straight lines and sharp corner of the patio?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
Very nice  O0  Now I want a bat eye plant!   8-)~
Joey

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Very nice  O0  Now I want a bat eye plant!   8-)~

I agree!  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"