Author Topic: New plants  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Blondieskatz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/10/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New plants
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
Good afternoon all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, but I think it is.

Just a question~ I have a friend who is getting som water plants from someone she knows that has a pond. When I get new plants I always dip them in a light solution of PP, she uses mild salt. I've never heard of using salt just PP or bleach. Ha anyone ever heard of this and would this kill of any parasites?  :-\

TIA,
Blondie

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New plants
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »
I'm certainly no expert but I am not familiar with using salt to de-bug aquatic plants.

I've heard of using PP as you mention.  In addition I have heard of people using a solution of bleach or a solution of Aluminum Sulfate.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »
PP is an excellent disinfectant for plants...Salt I don't think soo  :o...salt and plants do not go together....I would keep the PP and get rid of the salt....what exactly does she think the salt does? most parasites are immune to salt....and plants sure don't like it...if you don't have PP a bleach solution is next best thing...just rinse them well after using bleach...if you use pp you don't have to rinse them...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Blondieskatz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/10/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »
Thanks guys,

I told her I didn't think the salt was the right thing to use. Glad I was right, just double checking.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:52:32 AM »
What's PP?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:19:02 AM »
You know when you just have to go and crossing your legs doesn't work any longer?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:35:36 AM »
LOL@Esther.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »
PP is Potassium Permanganate it can be used to disinfect plants or as a pond treatment(however you really have to know how to use or you can either kill ALL of your fish or not even touch the problem your using it for)....I've only used it once for fish problems and it was in a small tank that I knew was clean and that I knew the exact gallonage---I was scared to death I would kill my fish but, they made it thru with just fine... I disinfect ALL of my plants--the ones I ship out and the ones I recieve to make sure they don't have any hitch hikers....
Lawanna

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »
PP precautions- it will stain so wear gloves, eye protection and a mask if windy.

In Esther's situation, you might need an extra pair of undies handy! ;)
It's terrible being a woman at times!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
Can someone tell me where to get some PP?  Does it come in solution?  If not, how do I mix the mixture so I don't kill the plants?  Do I just dip the plants in this solution then put the plants in the pond without rinsing?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for answering them. :)  I am so new to ponding that I want to make sure I get it right and not kill the plants and/or fish.

Thanks!
Kuan

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »
Kuan I order mine from e-bay I buy the powder and go by Tammie's instrustions---here they are...
Lawanna

PP doesn't kill everything. It won't kill leeches. And (maybe my snails are tough!) but, Alum didn't kill my snails. PP kills snails. And bacteria along with other critters. Alum for leeches. Seems the only posts I answer are about snails, leeches and aphids! I'm the Queen of critters! So, for disinfecting plants - I have a bit of experience here, I ship plants every week, and they are inspected by the USDA prior to shipping. So, here goes - Mix 4 oz of PP into 32 oz or water. This becomes your stock solution. Use 1 drop of stock solution in 1 gallon of water to achieve 2ppm. You want 24ppm to disinfect plants. You want to mix the PP stock solution into the container that your plants are going to be in, so I just run the hose until it is all mixed up. CAUTION #1 DO NOT USE THIS STRENGTH OF PP WHEN THERE ARE FISH PRESENT!! You'll kill them for sure! Since PP works on the "organic" material if you leave the dirt on your plants you will use up the PP before it can disinfect anything! You must wash off all of the dirt, and remove any leaves, pads that are history, before you put the plant into the PP. Most plants I leave in over night, but some are more sensitive and I only leave it in a couple of hours. CAUTION #2 - PP WILL STAIN ANYTHING IT TOUCHES! WEAR GLOVES AND OLD CLOTHES! CAUTION #3 - LIKE ALMOST EVERYTHING IN LIFE, PP HAS IT'S DANGERS! WEAR A DUST MASK, AND DON'T WORK WHERE THE WIND CAN BLOW THE PP BACK INTO YOUR FACE! PP should be treated with the same respect you would use while working with any other chemical - read the precautions and don't get cocky.
Alum will kill leeches (Ucky! I don’t like them!) 1 Tablespoon per 100 gallons. Now, look, I’ve been told that Alum will crash your Ph, so don’t use it in your pond! Use it as a pre-treater. I only found leeches in one of my marginal tanks, the only fish in there were guppies. I way overdosed the tank, and didn’t have a single guppy casualty. But I would never try it in the Koi pond! Tammie

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks Lawanna.  O0  I will hop over to eBay and look for some PP.  I'm printing Tammies's instructions now. :)

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"