Author Topic: Can fish get depressed? Sad??  (Read 844 times)

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can fish get depressed? Sad??
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »
I had to find a new home for my Largest Koi.  My pond is very small and the one Koi just kept Growing and Growing so I had to put her up for Adoption.  I found a Family here in town that has a much larger pond for her.  But the problem in my pond now is she was the "ALPHA" Fish!!!  The other 2 Koi and Shubunkins in the pond are so LOST. When I fed them this morning they kept waiting and waiting - See the other Koi was the Boss and they didnt do Anything without her going First!!!! The goldfish had no problem eating, just the older fish!! I think I will go to the petstore and find some fish treats - to perk them up alittle!!

I know they will be better off eventually, but its sad watching them!!!
Lori TX

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can fish get depressed? Sad??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
OH how sad...the poor little guys are waiting for the big fish in the pond to give the all clear....I'm sure there are those that say no its not possible...but, I do think fish form some sort of connection with the other fish in the pond...My two asagi are together ALWAYS...They even sleep either side by side or mouth to mouth..and when you have to take one of them out of the pond for anytime at all---they do seem to miss the other one...and when put back into the pond they swim over and greet their pondmate---
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:56:47 AM »
Koi are very social animals.
The remaining fishies will learn - and choose another leader. :)

You did the right thing by finding a bigger pond for the big fish.  o(:-)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:58:53 AM by Sunbeam56 »

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »
Fish are schooling beings, so they like / need the company of others.  And yes, they do form their "pecking orders."

After 'coons or cats killed all but one of my gold fish in the turtle pond, the sole survivor was pretty lost for a couple of months.  Finally I got smart and added some 26c PetSmart goldfish, and immediately he perked up and started swimming around more.  Earlier this week, I added some of my largest baby koi from the March spawn, and it's fun watching the change in all the fish - the koi are so much more active than goldfish, and more daring.  They bring out more activity in the goldfish, too.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"