Author Topic: Please try...  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Please try...
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »
A 'Pink Ribbon Bagel' at Panera Bread if you have them around your neighborhood.
Tonight we had to bring Bills brand new cell phone in for repairs cuz it wouldn't turn on, and right next door was a Panera Bread. After they replaced his phone (for free!) we went to Panera Bread for dinner. A young man named Jamel who works there (Panera's in Bridgehampton) gave us a sample 'Pink Ribbon Bagel' toasted with a little butter. (cuz he saw that I was battling cancer, told me his Aunt was too) AND IT WAS DELICIOUS!  @O@
So I bought 6 'Pink Ribbon Bagels' to bring into the office for breakfast tomorrow. O0

Not only is it delicious, profits go to Breast Cancer charities. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Please try...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:26:33 PM »
No Paneria's here.plenty of Panderias though, as well as Carnesirias! (sp)
Sound good Joyce, enjoy! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:15:22 PM »
We have Panera here and I'm spending the day tomorrow with a dear friend (Spent today taking care of Mom & Dad, yesterday doing laundry, Monday waiting on calls from doctors, it's MY turn).  We'll go to the mall 1/3 mile from here and have some in your honor!  I'll even toast you with a bit of coffee.

Then I'm hitting my favorite clothing store and getting a new pair of jeans . . . and maybe a sweater.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »
Will do. There's a Panera right around the corner.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 07:04:09 PM »
Thanks Joyce, I'll do that this weekend, and tip a coffee mug in toast to you!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 08:50:22 PM »
Yum, sounds like a good excuse to go there, I love that place!

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:06 PM »
I actually did this morning. My 17 year old son and I went to breakfast before his school day started (I am not a morning person in any way so my son felt pretty special o(:-)). I had my eye on something else until I remembered they have this going on. I have a good friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago so I try to do whatever I can to help with research. BTW.....My friend is doing well now.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »
Jerry,

There is a Panera about 10 miles from you.  It would be worth a trip.. good bread, good soup, good sandwiches. See http://www.panerabread.com/cafes/find.php and type in Northridge CA.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 09:44:37 AM »
M & M's is doing their pink and white M & M promo again, if you see them on the shelves at the store, they are donating a portion of proceeds to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

http://us.mms.com/us/news/promotions/komen/
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »
Joyce, OK. I bought a dang bagel for ya, but I didn't eat it! Please excuse the following rant.  >:(-

I have a problem with organizations selling garbage food to supposedly "help" a cause. Selling Ice Cream to help the American Heart Association, selling candy (of all things!) to help the American Diabetes Association, and selling carbo junk grains to help ANYthing related to Breast cancer.

The problem is complex. By selling garbage, man-made, invented, processed, edible, non-food product to help a cause is a double-edged sword. Encouraging people to eat that non-food with the false pretense that some of the money will be donated to "research" is like saying "go ahead and eat the very same stuff that is implicated in causing the disease in the first place- but don't worry, we're donating some money for ya!". There is plenty of scientific evidence out there that implicate grains (primarily milled grains) as a primary source of the diseases of civilization (Heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, cancer) that it is highly unlikely that these suspect ingredients in so-called "food" products will ever be exonerated.
Follow the money.

Was the bagel at least a "low glycemic" bagel?  :(
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:40:21 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 04:03:41 AM »
Karen...good point! Having lost a good friend to breast cancer 18 years ago (she was 31 :'() and having a friend who was diagnosed a couple years ago I try to keep up on the latest research. I know research has shown that low fat diets as well as organic diets will decrease your chances of getting cancer.
A local news channel did a report some time ago on exactly what you brought up. The concensus was that these organizations have done their own research and found that most people buy things like bagels, M & M's anyway which is why they do these promotions.
Cath
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"