Author Topic: marinade for grilled BBQ veggies? Need a good one.  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
marinade for grilled BBQ veggies? Need a good one.
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:24:51 PM »
I've been trying to do grilled peppers on the BBQ with this marinade I found (Garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, oil) and it is just so-so.  Can't seem to get much in the way of flavour from it and if I just try to increase the herbs and spices it helps a little, but not really what I figure it should do.

Anyone have anything that works nice that they would share?

Thanks.

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: marinade for grilled BBQ veggies? Need a good one.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
Use the same marinade and add: meat, pinapple, onions, and tomatoes to the peppers O0 and don't forget the pepper!, and salt
You might just want to add some terriaki sause. O0
You'll have a keeper then.You'll dazel that little lady,
Steve
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:29:54 PM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »
After you have grilled your veges use the same mixture but kick it up a bit by adding some balsamic vinegar and sugar (and water to dilute the vinegar some) to taste.  Toss your veges with it before serving--you can even warm it up a bit in the microwave or on top of the stove.  Don't have them swimming in it, but just enough to toss like a salad.  I do this a lot-it's very good.  O0 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
Suggestion?
I do differently.
Take the veggie, cut it the way you want it - salt and lay it out for awhile. The salt will cause juice to rise to the surface.
Just before you cook, wipe off the juice.
Now the veggie wants fluids.

Throw the veggie on the grill, with the tough (the skin or back) side down. Brush the veggie with a bbq sauce - if you want an easy sauce, just use 1/2 olive oil, and 1/2 balsamic vinegar or lime/orange juice - and then season like you want it. Add a little honey to make it stick. Not much.

BBQ sauce, as we use it, is thicker than marinades. So it sticks to the outside, and the result is yummy!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
We bought a weber grill last fall, a natural gas model that hooks into our gas line. We bought the weber grilling book at the same time for like $20...what an investment! Best fajitas and grilled veggies ever. It's the best source for grilling period.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:15:55 PM »
I use Italian Pesto salad dressing. I think its a Kraft salad dressing. It works really well for grilled veggies.
I also have a recipe for a Thai peanut marinade that is supposed to be for meat but I've used it on veggies too.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
Hmm, I was hoping not to use anything already prepared from a bottle like BBQ sauce, dressings, etc..  I could add the salt for sure since they did seem to be a little flat in that dept.  Sugar might be a nice touch.  I don't use pepper at all since it doesn't sit well with my stomach (and frankly I don't think it adds anything to the taste as far as my tastebuds are concerned). 

I don't expect to dazzle anyone, but if you know of some little lady, Steve, that I should know about please tell!   ;D

Bart

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
I use this seasoning on whole mini bell peppers and it's a winner for all who have tried it. 

I use olive oil that I have infused with garlic cloves.  Pour just enough over the peppers to get a light cover.  Sprinkle sea salt, pepper, and a dried green herb (like sage, savory, thyme or oregano) and toss the peppers to mix.  Grill the peppers on medium heat or on a cast iron tray over the BBQ for a few minutes on each side.  Voila!  C'est magnifique!!!

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
I take a nice big piece of Heavy Duty foil, spray it lightly with cooking oil.  Then I slice potatos, carrots and a little onion and place it on the foil.  I season it with garlic powder, a little onion salt, a little bit of butter, italian seasoning or oregano and parmesan cheese.  I sprinkle about a teaspoon of water over all of this to help steam the veggies, and then wrap it air tight in the foil and grill for about 10 minutes on each side.

Yummy!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 02:12:51 PM »
Well, you might give this a try. I use this all the time on meat as well as veggies.
I mix this up in a ziploc bag, then put meat in to marinate.
For veggies I do the same  but just throw the veggies in the bag, zip it shut, give it a good toss to coat
and then put them on the grill. Pour the remaining marinade into a small dish and brush on veggies as they cook.

Thai Peanut-Pepper Dressing
(or Marinade)

1/3 Cup Vinegar
1/3 Cup Salad Oil
2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper

Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Can be used as a meat marinade. Pour into a container or a large ziploc bag, add meat and place in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours. More than 2 hours and the meat starts to get mushy.

If you like it HOT....use more red pepper or you can use Tabasco sauce or minced jalapeno.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
Shanna, wow that reads like it's really delicious.

I also like the way Bartman's original marinade sounds, and I think some good salt would make it perfect.

I like to use an Italian dressing that is a no-sugar copy of "Good Seasons" by Todd Wilbur. Don't know if that recipe is still out there in cyberspace, but I just make it without the sugar. It's good on Zucchini.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
You guys (and gals) are making me hungry for grilled veggies.  :D I think all of the recipes sound good.   O0

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »
Bart, I'm with you on the black pepper. DH absolutely loves it but I would be happy if I never had to taste it again.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »
If you tried my recipe I'm afraid that with your sensitive tummy we would be reading about you in the obituary pages....so I'll keep it to myself...  :D

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
I'm still working on this one.  Getting a bit closer, but still seem to lack the little extra punch.

I've tried adding the salt, more garlic, a few chives and a touch of paprika then cutting back on the rosemary.  Something is still missing.  May need some onion.  Can't figure out why the peppers are not absorbing more of the spices.  The mixture smells good, just doesn't have much taste.

I bought a new BBQ last weekend and just got it put together so now more than ever I'm looking for some signature dishes!

Bart

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 01:14:38 AM »
Pepper skin is a little bit waxy - you grill it down. When the skin burns off (toasts off) then you get more nummy.

If you are using red bell peppers (not spicey to start with), AFTER they are cooked, slice them and dip them in the sauce.

If you are using a spicey pepper (please don't use habanero - you can get ulcers) peel off the toasted skin, serve on crackers or toast points with a dab of cream cheese.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 10:52:09 PM »
I found this in my Grilling book.  However, it's a dressing for a grilled pepper salad, not a marinade.

Grilled Pepper Salad

2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
2 yellow bell peppers

Grill peppers and place in baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.  The steam will help loosen skin
Let sit for 20 minutes to cool down and meanwhile make the dressing below
Pull or scrape off skin
Cut out stem end and discard
Cut open the peppers and scrape out veins and seeds with knife
Cut into quarters or strips

Dressing Ingredients
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt or more to taste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or slivered fresh basil
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts

Mash garlic and salt together with wooden spoon to make a paste
Add vinegar and lemon juice and whisk until salt is dissolved
Whisk in oil, parsley and pine nuts

Pour over grilled peppers and serve immediately or let sit for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"