Author Topic: ANybody use this for pond netting????  (Read 2579 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ANybody use this for pond netting????
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:38:07 PM »
Trying to find something to use to keep the leaves out.. I have a huge tree that has pretty small leaves.. they go everywhere..

Anybody use this kind.. looks like a great price.. if not recommendations please :)
http://www.catalogclearance.com/products/sku-PN0710__dept-157.html/?wcw=google

tinkster

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ANybody use this for pond netting????
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:47:25 PM »
Wow! That is a good price. I've never used netting, but here is another source if you want a selection. It's a bit more pricey though...

http://www.usnetting.com/HTML/aquatic-netting.html

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:43:14 AM »
I have started using greenhouse shade cloth on the tanks under my cedar and hackberry.... It works great for trees with needles, berrries, or small leaves and seeds  @O@ @O@ @O@
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline backyardponder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:55:46 AM »
I ordered my netting from this company: http://www.internetmesh.net/
The price for a 14'x18' netting came to around $28 (they have a $15 charge for orders under $50, the net itself was only $14).  I have a tree that has small leaves and one that the leaves curl up and make it through regular netting.  I got their oriented netting that has 1/6'' holes, no leaf is going to go through that! I haven't put it on yet, but it looks very durable and will last for years I'm sure.
Eija (8:-)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »
What a great price!  After seeing Red's pics, I might have to consider a net for my pond. 

Offline hnladue

• Members
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:14:05 AM »
I use the bird/deer netting from home depot. $7 I think it was. twice the size I need.

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »
Any good tips on how best to anchor the pond netting?  My netting came yesterday so I need to figure out how I want to do things. 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 07:26:57 AM »
If anyone wants to see what this netting looks like we installed it on the pond last night.  My husband bought some rod and made our own anchors to anchor it.  The pictures aren't that great, but you can get an idea.  When you look at the pond you can hardly tell the netting is even there!

Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 08:07:37 AM »
Ah, yes!...Netting!

I consider myself an expert on netting as I inherited much information and experience from my father who was a self taught engineer and master gardener.  Nonetheless, I proceeded to make my own mistakes in the acquisition of various netting products over the years. There is, in my opinion, a netting product that is so superior to any other on the market, that while appearing to be expensive, is actually the most economical product extant.  That is a product known as "TORON" netting, manufactured by the J. A. Cissel Mfg. Co. Lakewood, NJ.  This stuff is so good that I bought some more of it in 2003, after having used for years some that I inherited from my father.  I had purchased many types of netting over the years and none have come close to the quality and longevity of Toron.  If you buy Toron netting, You will be delighted with it, and I guarantee you will agree that it is, in the long run, the best deal out there.  Contact Tim Chadwick at 800-631-2234.  See their products at http://www.jacissel.net/ .

I still use some Toron netting that my late father purchased in 1968.  It is good stuff.

Disclaimer:  I own no interest or stock in the company.  I recommend them out of personal experience with the product.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 11:01:07 PM »
I bookmarked the Company Johns.  I want to make Shade Sails to replace my effective but ugly canopy
If anyone wants to see shade sails, just "Google"it.
This view if from an upstairs room
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 10:03:42 PM »
You're going to make your own shade sails Jerry?  I want to use shade sails to get some shade over where the rv is parked, they would greatly increase the effectiveness of the ac.  I worry about wind, sometimes really strong out here mainly in the spring.  I was thinking that triangular shade sails at different heights would work and the wind would go through or between them if they were at different heights.  I hadn't thought about making my own though.  I'm not thrilled with the color choices I've seen and I'd rather use regular shade cloth that lets light through than the canvas like cloth I've seen sold.   Now, I'm lost trying to figure out a pattern for them and how many poles I would need to hold them and how high.  I'd love some kind of petal shape, coming from one pole to 5 or 6 poles on the other side and fanned out like a flower.  It kind of makes my head hurt trying to figure it out, I need to start drawing it and measuring heights.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
Jonna my situation is just like yours including wind.
The sails are availavble with 60% shade.  Green seems not to be available.
Some of the sites will give you/us ideas for confguring them.
I would not opt to make them myself.  I may need a little help on installation too.

Visit the sites via Google and share what you learn
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »
You're going to make your own shade sails Jerry?  I want to use shade sails to get some shade over where the rv is parked, they would greatly increase the effectiveness of the ac.  I worry about wind, sometimes really strong out here mainly in the spring.  I was thinking that triangular shade sails at different heights would work and the wind would go through or between them if they were at different heights.  I hadn't thought about making my own though.  I'm not thrilled with the color choices I've seen and I'd rather use regular shade cloth that lets light through than the canvas like cloth I've seen sold.   Now, I'm lost trying to figure out a pattern for them and how many poles I would need to hold them and how high.  I'd love some kind of petal shape, coming from one pole to 5 or 6 poles on the other side and fanned out like a flower.  It kind of makes my head hurt trying to figure it out, I need to start drawing it and measuring heights.

I've seen this at someone's house. It's actually quite effective. The sails I think were attached at the one end to two poles close together. At the other end the poles were spaced out evenly two per sail, but the post between each sail was shared with two sails, so that it did fan out like a flower. They were wedged in shape—like a flower petal. The height between them was a little bit different so there was space between each sail height wise, and they were at a slant—like a fan blade. The wind could blow through them without being a big wind obstruction. They had a boat sail maker sew up the sails.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 10:15:29 PM »
Yes Roc I have seen them set up where they were very attractive. Some of my Palms (King) need shade too.  I have been trying to come up with a good design.  So far I am not happy with my ideas.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 01:24:02 AM »
It does kind of hurt the head trying to figure out a design for placing them.  I sit outside and stare at the sun and the shadows trying to "see" it, if anyone spots me I'm sure they think I've lost it.

I also think that 2 shades could be on one pole at different heights so for 4 panels, one side would only need 5 poles. The other side would need one really strong, well anchored pole.   Height and anchoring them is another problem.  I'd like to slope them down on the sunny side but that would mean the solo pole would have to be really, really high.  I think the poles would be a huge expense.  In the pictures they all seem to be tied to a tree, nothing like that here.  I can't figure out how the poles wouldn't be a big eye sore as well.  I thought maybe put a flag on top of it and pretend it's a flag pole  (8:-)

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
One can paint the posts green and they would be far less obtrusive.
I have some design skills, but I do an awful lot of re doing.   Digging up posts and recemeting won't be fun.
How about if and when we come up with designs, we post them here?
I do plan to use a tree and maybe even the house as an anchor as well.
I am looking into "custom made" too.
The canopy I posted was really cheap!  I think those guys can make me whatever I want
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 02:03:04 AM »
Heh! I'd have to paint the poles brown or beige for them to blend in out here!

Is this the place you are talking about? http://shadesales.com/

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 07:51:20 AM »
It is the main one, but there are many. I plan to give the guys locally a shot at it. They build canopys to order.  I would have done it by now, but the dumb back thing has slowed me down.  It is feeling better today.

Sure, your paint job should fit your surroundings. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:49 PM »
Here is a link to some designs.   http://www.shadesails.com/helpfulhints.htm
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"