Author Topic: Attaching Stone cap on pond wall  (Read 3101 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Attaching Stone cap on pond wall
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
How to attach?  Is it possible to somehow glue (amateur builder) a cap stone to a rubber liner on my pond wall?  There is a 2x6 treated wood on the ledge of the pond wall under liner.  Also I want to attach stone pieces to the front side of the wall around the pond. 

Do I need to cut the liner back?  If not I will nail the liner down before attaching the stone.

I'm just concerned about melting the liner with chemical glue or plaster.

On the picture below only the front, long side of the pond has a 2x6 on the top of the wall.  The other 2 sides will also get a 2x6 on top.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching Stone cap on pond wall
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
I had great success using construction expanding foam to attach rocks to my liner but on the other hand I have read of some people not having the same success.  If you use foam, WEAR THROW-AWAY GLOVES.  That stuff is very difficult to get off you skin.......Very difficult......
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:42:10 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:58:51 AM »
Thanks Mike!  Where can I buy this stuff?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
Try WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. in the building section/glue section.  I think Great Foam makes a black pond sealant.  I've never tried it for your application but have used it to seal up holes around the house.  Definitely wear disposable gloves.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »
Thanks Kat!  I'm hoping it will keep the stone caps in place so anyone sitting on them will not have to take a swim in the pond!  o(

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »
I believe they have different grades of Great Stuff, or whatever they call it, so make sure you get the really sticky kind that expands a lot.  Once it dries you can use a serrated knife to cut off excess that oozed out and then you can paint it to blend in.  I don't know how well it holds up to foot or bottom traffic.....  Mine has been in place for ten+ years but it gets no foot traffic.

Offline kamala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »
As much as I love great stuff, I would be worried about it loosening with the wobble and weight of being sat on.  Check the epoxy/liquid nails aisle at home depot or lowes.  I think I saw an epoxy that would stick just about anything to anything.  As long as its not "in" the pond, I wouldn't think there would be any health risk to the fish.  Although, great stuff is easier to repair than epoxy.  good luck.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »
Yeah, my first concern is "bottom" traffic.  :D  I think I will go to HD and ask the "experts" whether the Great Stuff or epoxy will work better for my situation.  My first concern was the possibility of the rubber liner melting with any chemical application. 

Another concern is that the folks at HD do not know what they are talking about.  ;)

Thanks for your reply too, Kamala!

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:03:54 AM »
I used that great stuff when I first built my waterfall some years back, never again.  {nono}
It's messy to the max. Once it is on rocks, liner, or hands, it's a nightmare to get off,  >:(-  and I think it would loosen up being sat on. Not sure on that though. You might want to try construction adhesive.
Take a test piece of liner and glue it on and sit it on your ledge and see how it would hold up.
No matter what you use, do a test on some extra liner first.
Good luck,

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »
Good advice, Steve!  O0  I will do some tests.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »
Is this a new project Annette or are you finishing up your pond?

Good Luck and let us know what works best for you!
Need pix too please! :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Hi Bonnie!  Unfortunately had a few set backs (Busy, Busy, and Busy are in the way) but still working on new lily pond.  Still haven't made it out to HD to get supplies.  :P

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »
Annette: The island the turtle is resting on in my "Hokey-Pokey" thread is made of a piece of wood that I put a lot of Great Stuff expanding foam on around the edges in order to give it more buoyancy.  It's been holding up real well with the turtles climbing on and off all day....

I think Steve's idea is great.  O0

Offline fredinva

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
miguynmkoi ,

Great stuff won't bother your liner. I've also used 100% silicone in a tube gun.
On the cap of my pond I used both the above and mortared most of the flat stones in place.
btw, there are no 'experts' at HD or Lowes when it comes to GS and ponds!!!   lol

fred   

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 08:35:22 PM »
i used ti and it worked, well kinda but then i saved it and it never came out of the cilinder it is in, so if you use it use it all the way, well just my expirience and yeah use gloves that thing got on my face and it lasted  a week there believe me, and it was not just on my face, it was in my hands, arms, legs even in my pants i still have one that has it oh good memories not really lol
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:14:05 AM »
btw, there are no 'experts' at HD or Lowes when it comes to GS and ponds!!! 

You got that right!  Just need a little self esteem boost I suppose when I go in these shops.   ;D  I know they can't understand what I need or know what to do for my situation.  But they do show me stuff I don't need that could come in handy for another project!

I'm using construction adhesive Steve recommended.  I used it on my koi pond to hold the liner edge to the concrete base and it works!  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"