Author Topic: plants considered "invasive" in my area.....  (Read 1267 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
plants considered "invasive" in my area.....
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
Hello,  I have recently discovered that all the cool floating plants that I like i.e. water lettuce, water hyacinth, parrots feather and others are not legal in the state I live in (FL).   {-)
I tried talking to a local water garden landscaper about this "invasive" issue not being an issue if its a confined pond/tub.  He said that although a private pond is enclosed the problem is that birds will eat the seeds and poop the seeds in the natural waterways, hence still an "invasive" plant problem... :(  I asked then why is there a nursery in another county in the same state where it is illegal selling these plants?  His answer was that as long as they did not sell it to residents of the state it was okay.  Only orders out of the state allowed...bummer. I am at a loss for floating plants that are both interesting and useful for clarifying the water.  Does anyone know of other interesting equivalents that might be legal in my state?    {:-P;; 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: plants considered "invasive" in my area.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:40 PM »
Not knowing what part of the state that you are in, I can't really say that this could apply to you. I'm in Marion county and the word here is: as long as you don't sell them or have them in a pond that they could escape from into a natural body of water, then, unofficially, they are okay. Well, at least water hyacinths are. They are under control. As far as birds eating the seeds, they would have to eat the whole plant after it bloomed. I've not heard anything about parrot feather being an invasive species here. They sell it everywhere in these parts.

As an alternative though, if that's what you want, then get some frogs bit. It's related to water hyacinths but it's native to Florida.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the info Scott, I'll look into it....I am still envious though that we cannot legally have water lettuce and water hyacinths though down here... :thumbdown:
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
I do have water hyacinths but I'm not close to any natural bodies of water. I use to live in a mobile home park that was inspected once a year by county inspectors. One year, they walked into my yard and they only asked the park owner one question and that was,"Was I selling plants?" You see, here, nurseries can't have them unless they are licensed and permitted. I'm not a nursery.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
Frogbit is really nice.  :)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"