Author Topic: My first pond  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Rick40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My first pond
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
Hi

Here are a few pics of my pond that I finished this past June I started building it in early May I bought a double pond kit from Menards. The rocks I bought from a local Landscape dealer. I have it stocked with 12 goildfish. The deapest part of the lower pond is about 2' ,while the deapest part of the upper pond is about 1'. The waterfall I might change next year to make it look more natural. Most of the plants that are in the backround were there already. My nextdoor neighbor helped me out alot with the waterfalls I have never done any mortoring before . He himself has a beutiful pond in his backyard also. I will forward him this link.

Any comments and suggestions  are always welcome

Rick
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:30:47 PM by Rick40 »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My first pond
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
Welcome Rick!

Very nice pond!  Nice design.  If you want to change the waterfall can you make it wider?  Looks like you have lots of room  O0
You may need lilies or water plants to keep the water more balanced, if that is the proper term.  Lots of other members here to help you out.  Enjoy!

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
Your pond looks great! Love your goldies.  o(:-)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »
Very nice for your first pond... love the waterfall, very interesting...

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Rick40

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:06:50 PM »
 Thank you all very much. Actually next year ,if was to redo my waterfall,I was going to make it wider by expanding it to the left. I am not to concerned about removing some of the tall plants that are to the left of the waterfall. They spread out allot.

Rick

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
Welcome Rick to the forum. Your first pond looks Great. Love the 2 ponds and waterfall. Hope to see more pictures as it matures. Also hope to see pictures of your neighbors pond. Would be nice to have a ponding neighbor. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:43:48 PM »
Rick,

Everything looks great!!!!!  Especially for your first pond! 

I first bought a kit from Bomgaars where I used to live (500 gallons) when I moved in 2002.  Put it in under a tree, oval shaped.  The next summer decided it was too small, too many leaves from the tree, not in the right area of the yard, so I took it out, filled it in and built a 900 gallon in the middle of the back yard (figure 8 shape).  The next summer decided it should be a little bigger and deeper so took it all out again, dug a little deeper, took out the shelves, added a waterfall, was 1,200 gallons.  Then I got a preformed pond and built it above ground in front of the other one, below my upstairs deck.  Added plants, in pond and out, bricks, rocks, landscape timber, redo, redo, redo...

Don't think mine ever looked as natural as yours, but I loved them anyways.  Was so peaceful to sit and admire and enjoy the outdoors.

Have fun as I know you will. 

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
Here are a couple more, with the hyacinths in the hoola hoops and the noodles.  Hope this helps.  Sorry I don't have any newer ones.

Offline Rick40

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 06:46:57 AM »
 Thank you all again. I will ask my neighbor if I could post a pic of his pond here. Actually,in my neighborhood there are now 4 of us that have ponds. Next year I want to build a patio  near it. I am also thinking about making the lower pond deeper next year,but the thought of removing all that rock gives me 2nd thoughts  about it.

I wish my Hyacinths would grow like those. I actually moved mine here from its original location that I wanted.  When I started digging at my original location I encountered too many of my other neighbors tree roots
 {nono} I don't think she would have appreciated the possibility of killing here tree

Rick

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »
Nice & you'll find that you may end up tinkering & tweaking it here & there.  That is all part of the fun & process of having a pond.  May I suggest you get a couple water lilies to help provide coverage & hiding for your fish?  The fish will be happier & most people look forward to the lily blooms.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
Nice pond Rick :)  Kat's right, waterlily's would be a great addition. :) Aww, go ahead and remove all the rock on the bottom. You'll be glad you did once you smell what rots in the rock after several years. It was an eye opening experience for me. No more rock bottom ponds for me..it's pretty though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:51:06 AM by Kay »

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 09:19:46 AM »
Very nice pond for first timer.  I'm sure you will think of expanding it now that you have been bit by the pond bug!!   lol

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"