Author Topic: dragonfly nymph in my goldfish pond  (Read 738 times)

Offline pecka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
dragonfly nymph in my goldfish pond
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:25:41 PM »
i just had a dragonfly nymph scare the heck out of me as i was leaning over my goldfish pond.  Now that i know what they are, i feel a bit silly.  However, after reading about them i am wondering if they will harm my fish?  My pond is about 125-150 gallons and my goldfish are not overly large.  Should i remove the nymphs?

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: dragonfly nymph in my goldfish pond
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »
Nymphs will eat small fish and fry and are I've heard they can give a nasty bite. If you are not breeding fish it should be ok I think.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
They'll only eat really small fish (fry).  I say, to have a dragonfly hatch into an adult would be worth the potential loss of one or two extra baby fish. And if all you have are adult fish, well, let the insect go through his cycle and enrich your pond environment.

Offline Cedric

• Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Oh yes leave them alone. They will only eat small new fry, and if you have fry you certainly will be able to miss a few as fish produce a couple of thousand at a time. Live bearers less but almost continually. I've introduced "danios" the bright pink long fin ones to keep the live bearers numbers down as the dragonfly/damsels don't do enough. The danios breed a lot but only just a handful every year seem to survive the live bearers LOL as they are tiny and scatter their eggs which are readily eaten. So they both keep each other in balance, well in theory at least. Still get too many platy's.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"