Author Topic: PICS ADDED.........Major yard and garden damage  (Read 4489 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: PICS ADDED.........Major yard and garden damage
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »
Cath, I'm sorry about the awful damage. It's hard to lose such an old and magnificent tree. Other things in the garden may come back, but it would take, what, 50 years to grow another tree like that?!
Stinks losing all those veggies, and the other stuff. That looks like it was a great looking garden.

If there are any plants I can send you just holler.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
Wow!
You don't have a fireplace?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Oh my Gosh! :redface: sorry Cath, for some reason I had you confused with someone in Eastern Wash. :redface: I went to Omaha once remember befor I knew you for my DGD's transplants. Not planning on going back anytime soon.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »
Cath, I'm so sorry about all your damage.  I've lost my entire garden and pond plants to hail before, and even though the pond plants recuperate, the garden plants don't do as well.  I know how discouraging that can be.   :'(

As for the tree, that's a worse tragedy...as they take so long to grow.  I'm very thankful, tho, that it didn't hit your house or vehicles.  I'm also thankful that nobody was hurt from your winds.  Mother Nature can be scary sometimes.   :(

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »
Karen....the tree was 50 years old, planted in 1958. It will be very sad if it has to be taken out. It supplies biggest share of the shade for 1/2 of our back yard. Bummer!! It was such a huge, beautiful tree. But as sad as all of this was, we had no house damage, and neither did immediate neighbors (one will have to replace his garage roof, a tree punched a huge hole in it), so we were very fortunate in that respect. Thanks again everyone for all the kind words.
The city seems to be giving in and (hopefully) will pick up the debris from this storm. Until today they were saying everyone was on their own. It would probably take us 15 pick up loads to haul our tree debris away. Having to do that in the evening after DH got off work, we would be hauling for weeks.
zone 5b

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
Well, YEAH, I would think the city should help pick up after the storm.  Our city has had a lot of high winds and one tornado, and the city has always helped the homeowners clean up after the storm.  I'm shocked that they were saying everyone was on their own.   >:(-

I really know how you feel about the tree.  We lost a 30 year old tree when they widened the highway in front of our house, and that was very sad for me.  :'(  I guess I'm a tree lover at heart.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 06:28:32 AM »
Oh, wow.  So sorry for you tree, pond and garden.  What a mess.

We don't get any help either if a tree falls, we're on our own also. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »
I just read another article in the paper, and I guess I should add that the homeowners do need to get the debris to the curb.  If a tree falls in the street, the city will clean the whole thing up, but trees that fall just on a lawn or house need to be moved to the curb in order for the city to take them away. 

I didn't mean to infer that the city will come onto someone's property to cut the tree and clean up the debris.  :-\

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »
Wow Cath! I just saw the post and the pics. How terrible.
Let me know if you need waterlillies, I can send some hearties!
Just drop me an email and they are yours! I just pulled some yesterday and have them in a kiddie pool.
Kathy

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »
We just found out yesterday that the huge oak will have to come down. I think I want to be gone the day they come to do that. This tree was 50 years old and 60' tall and beautiful..........very sad.  :'( The tree service did say they will come after the first frost this fall, that way we can enjoy the shade for the summer plus thier fall prices are lower so that was good news. It will sure change our yard. BTW.....We got bids from several different companies and made sure they sent an arborist to evaluate the oak.
Cath
Kathy......I'll let you know...thanks!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:45:42 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 06:02:48 AM »
Sorry your big tree can't be saved.   :'(

Offline Rick40

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »
 Cath

Sorry to here about the extreme damage from the storm. It is hard to lose a tree that mature. I am sure ,and hope so, that your city should help with the cleanup

This past early Monday morning we had a major Thunderstorm roll though here. We received very heavy rain and high winds. In my town there are several trees that were blown down. The city is still working on cleaning them up. A town about 20 miles of me received extensive damage from the storm. There were reports of gusts of winds at 90 mph. Most of the southern part of town was without power.One woman who was interviewed ,said they decided to go to McDonalds for breakfast because they were without power. The clerk at McDonalds said that between 7:00 A:M and 10:30A:M they served over 3000 people

The city is now trying to get the government to help out with the cleanup.

It seems that when it rains here now all we get is heavy thunderstorms. Whatever happened to a good old fashioned light rain.

Take care

Rick

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"