Author Topic: What To Plant On The Outside Of The Pond Now!  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Karla

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What To Plant On The Outside Of The Pond Now!
« on: July 22, 2008, 02:58:33 PM »
Now that the inside of my pond is pretty much done, I need some ideas/suggestions as to what to plant or do around the outside of it!

Zone 5 - Full Sun - Perennials Preferred

Thanks in advance!

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What To Plant On The Outside Of The Pond Now!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »
Me, I prefer greenery to color, so I wouldn't be putting in a lot of flowers.  But then again, if you want to attract wildlife like butterflies, you need the flowers.

Remember to add both low and high plants (although not too many tall ones, 'cause they could block the view to or from the house), and a difference in textures, plus some to drape down over the rocks into the water.

Now, as for specific plants, well, I'm used to Zone 9, so I'll let some of you Northerners answer that one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »
We wanted our pond to look interesting in the winter as well as summer, so we used a lot of evergreens and grasses.  We have a Canadian Hemlock tree, evergreen shrubs such as mugo pine, golden threadleaf cypress (they drape over the waters edge really nice), barberry for a red color, holly, boxwoods, birdsnest yew, etc.  We leave the grasses all winter and don't cut them until spring.
We filled in with black-eyed susans, coneflowers, autumn joy sedum (looks nice all winter too), daylilies, etc. 

Have fun!

Karen

Offline Rick40

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
In addition to the ones previously mentioned,Russian Sage,CatMint(smells very pretty),Coreopis,Phlox,Oriental lilies,.Spireas,and Roses would be good choices. None of these I believe get too tall. I also live in Zone 5. Just remember,if you are planning on planting the outside of the pond now,you will have to water the plants daily to get them established since it is getting hot now.

Rick
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:39:05 PM by Rick40 »

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
I love creepers.....Some one on this site has them planted around their pond and I love it...I think it may be Tinks pond--but, I'm not sure  :-\
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:37:14 AM »
Post of my photo didn't take.

I am zone 5 too. I love sedums. They are drought tolerant, and come in so many varieties. Creepers and tall and MANY colors. Creeper can be reproduced so easily! Just cut a pice off and stick it in soil, it will form roots and  a whole new plant!

I would add at least one tall plant to the back of your pond for height. A grass or shrub.

Take a look at the photos from the thread I posted of the Port Huron Mi Pond tour, it's zone 5 there and you are sure to get some great ideas!
Kathy

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:28 AM »
If you have any pots of plants setting around, move them around and see what you like.  Some annuals for right now would add interest and color.  Statuary also adds interest.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »
Yes, statuary - good idea!  I have lots of natural-looking things around (relistic frogs & toads, mushrooms, birds, etc.) that are tucked into crannies where you don't notice them at first, but stumble upon them, and they give the feeling of nature visiting the pond.

And remember that dragonflies like tall spikey plants to perch on, and toads need hidey-holes among the rocks.

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »
I'm in zone 5 in full sun as well. I am trying to blend the edge with the existing landscape; but I have had good luck with the yellow Creeping Jenny, Lirope, Blue Rug Juniper (these are all low) daylilies for color and for hieght a Weeping Norway Spruce adds a lot of character without overwhelming. Put it like 3-4 feet from the pond it grows up not out. The bottom branches curl around on the ground.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
I have used alot of groundcovers and rocks around mine for a natural look.  seems when I plant anything to tall it hides pond/rocks/lilies blooming, then kind of worked back and away from the pond for the bigger plants.

Heres some pictures of groundcovers and rocks.

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"