Author Topic: Thinking of buying a lotus, help please....  (Read 1000 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Thinking of buying a lotus, help please....
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:15:55 AM »
I haven't had any luck when I purchase the tuber, so I am debating coughing up the $50 and buying a plant at the nursery (choke). Anyway, I am scared to death of killing it after shelling out that kind of dough.

How do i handle it in the winter and how soon will I need to divide it and how do i do that without killing it? I know you are not supposed to touch the growing tips. Do those of you who grow them successfully think I would do better starting off with a growing plant?
Kathy

Offline Vickie

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of buying a lotus, help please....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:11:02 AM »
Well Kathy I did years ago. And it was not divided for a couple of years. I took it back and the lady divided it for me. I watched her. It is Chawan Basu. I still have it. Maybe it would work for you. How deep is your pond? If you pond is deep enough you can sink it in the pond this winter. If it isn't deep enough you can put it somewhere like a cool basement or a partial heated garage. Maybe your trouble is the planting of the tuber.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:13:40 AM by Vickie »

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:38:03 AM »
hey there.. I dont know anything about buying them growing but I tried to winter over my first year in the basement and I lost them all.  Think my basement stayed to warm and they rotted.  I have never lost any left outside but I am one zone warmer than you.  I leave mine in their tubs in the ground then cover with bags of leaves ONLY if its very very cold for a long time, if not I just leave them as they are.

Have you tried Joyce and Lawannas method for potting?? I have had no loses using them and at first some I even butchered and they still lived. 

I "might" have extra tubers next year that I can send you for postage if you want to try again.  I dont know how many will be in there when I go to devide and I have a list but if theres enuff I would sure send ya one.

tinkster

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »
I just repotted both of my lotus this past spring for the first time.  I was really nervous about killing them since they hadn't been repotted in the three years I'd had them.  They both ar thriving now.  Long story short, if I can repot them, anyone can!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »
Tinkster, that would be great! Keep me in mind when you split, I'd try again.

I got 2 or 3 tubers from different ebayers and had no luck planting them. One started to get a leaf, then died. Another the dog ate! I did it the way Joyce does. I thought maybe if I get one that is already going I may have more luck.

I think I can sink it in the winter here. My pond doesn't freeze all the way down.
Kathy

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
Kathy, I am definately going to devide my Ms. Perry Solcum in the spring . We are in the same zone. I will be glad to send one to you for postage if you want. You just might have to remind me . Spring is a long ways away to remember. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:13:07 AM »
That would be nice thanks!
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"