Author Topic: Dilemma - Concrete waterfall  (Read 1104 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Dilemma - Concrete waterfall
« on: July 26, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »
We are nearing the end of digging the new pond.  DH wants a concrete waterfall.  I'm against it for fear it will crack with the cold winter here is KS.  We are in Zone 6b.  The temperature can get as cold as 10F with wind chill in the negative digits (for days).  Since I'm new to ponding, I want to ask some BTDT experts the pros and cons of having a concrete waterfall.  The main pond will be lined with EPDM liner.  The waterfall will have the big flat stones mortared together.  I need lots of assurance before I will agree with DH.  lol  I have a great DH because he said he likes it when I disagree with him.   O0

Thank you.

Kuan

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma - Concrete waterfall
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
I live near Branson,Mo, I know its not exactly the same thing, but my father had a concrete slab poured just outside his work shop and had them mix fiberglass fibers in the concrete while it was still wet. Its almost 20 years old now and still hasn't cracked.....

Good luck with whatever method you choose....

Vicky

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
Can you lay a liner on top of the concrete, and place your stones on top of that?

Also, on HGTV today, they made an upright water fall (one of those decorative falls that recycles into a basin at the bottom, to sit on their porch; it was about 7' tall) and they used concrete backer board, then attached rectangular stones that had been coated with a waterproofing sealer to it (didn't see how they adhered them) and then the guy made the point that he went and caulked EVERY gap inbetween the stones, running his finger in the caulk, to ensure there would be no leaks. 

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:50:40 AM »
I'm not following your description.
Is the concrete to add support and height and the rock will be on top/in front?
To add height to pur upper ond section, we used lanscape bricks, the kind that lock together when you stack them. You can't see them from the front viewing area as we covered them with rock. But if i ever change my mind design-wise (which i do almost every year to DH's dismay!) we can move them easily. Also if there is a plumbing issue under there, it can be rectified.
We are zone 5, Michigan, lots of freeze/thaw cycles and horrible winters.

In the picture, the upper pond waterfall section is about 3 feet higher than the lower, you can see the rock in front of the brick. We are thinking of building an additional waterfall behind that upper section next year, using the same technique.
Kathy

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »
That is a beautiful pond Kathy.  Gorgeous!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »
wow what a beautiful pond... I think we need TONS more pictures!

I am zone 6 not sure if a or b.. I didnt do a concrete waterfall but I did make alot of concrete rocks around my pond and some border rocks.  Probably some as small as 2" of concrete and so far it has not busted or cracked.  What ya gonna seal it with if you concrete???  My first "attempt" at a waterfall was concrete.. It was pretty.. I laid a thick bed of it and then placed stones and rocks in it.. it was pretty.. loooked soooo real but then I didnt know you had to seal it.. it leaked.. had to bust it out :)

tinkster

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

The plan has changed some what after today's hardwork shaping the pond and preparing the liner for it.  The liner was sooooo heavy and the temp was in the upper 90s with 50% humidity.  :(   Anyway, DH now wants to mortar the big flat rocks together.  Any cracks will be filled with black foam (or his favorite Great Stuff yellow foam  lol).  Instead of just putting the PVC pipe from the pump on top of the waterfall and let the water spill down, he now wants a 40 gallon stocktank hidden behind rocks and some plants then put a spillway in to let the water spill down the rocks on the front.  If his plan works, the waterfall will be around 3 ft tall and around 4 ft wide.  I'm sure his design is subject to change as things finally come together.

Tinkster - I will make sure to let DH know to use the sealant when he mortar the rocks in so it won't leak.

Now it is raining outside.  It will be next Monday before I have a chance to work on it (I'm off every Monday till 9/1).

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"