Author Topic: How frequently can you do partial water changes?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How frequently can you do partial water changes?
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »
I've been doing what some folks here have suggested, to keep the fish healthy and also to hopefully get rid of some of the brown stain in my water.  But how often can you do a 1/4 or 1/3 water change?  I don't want to stress the fish.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:31:01 PM by Julles »

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How frequently can you do partial water changes?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »
are you using uncholarinated well water or city water?

Offline Rick40

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:49 AM »

I haven't done a water change to my pond yet and my fish are fine.My ponds are about 500 gallons in total size. I just top mine off when it is below the watermark that I like to have my pond at.. I am using city water. Perhaps though I am doing this wrong. With my 20 gallon aquarium I just top it off also,but with it I use filtered water. I do a water change in it about once a month or when I think of it.

Rick

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
With the way water evaporates here I rarely do partial water changes.  I top my ponds off every 3 or 4 days depending on the weather in the summer.  The water level drops about 2" (waterfall helps with evap too) and the next day after topping the water the fishies do a delightful chase.

About the brown water, you may just need more filtration.  Keep plant debris to a minimum.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
I'm using Houston city water, which is pretty hard, and adding de-chlor and ph neutralizer.

And yes, I'm cleaning my filter 2-3 times a week, and also just bought some new medium to try in the filter.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 05:03:15 PM »
I have well water so don't have to add chemicals. I have a leak somewhere and we have been too lazy to look for it. I can add 3" twice a day and have been for several weeks. Fish don't seem to mind. But I don't know if the city water makes a difference.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
Julles,
Could be coincidence, but I had very brown tea-like water. I added microbe-lift Sludge Away a few days ago and yesterday BAM! My water is crystal clear!
Kathy

Offline aravenschild

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
When you just top off the water level, you are allowing the nitrates and ammonias to become more concentrated,... both the nitrate and ammonias are caused by your fish peeing, pooing, and from uneatten food that sinks to the bottom and decomposes........ (yes, fish do pee ::))

In nature there are very few natural ponds and and lakes that don't have a source of fresh water flowing into them or out from them,.......yes, filtering your pond does remove some of the more solid wastes, but not all of the liquid based ones......

As for high levels of nitrates and ammonias, they are the main cause behind fin rot, fungal infections and ick, among other things........

With all the rain we've been having, my pond seems to be overflowing at least once a week, basicly rain water in pond water out.......so I haven't been doing any water changes in mine this year.

As for water changes, I can say this,.... I maintain a heavily planted 100 gal aquarium with assorted tropical fish and a 75 gal brackish water tank with 3 g.tiles (fresh water moray eels), I try to do at least a 25% if not 50% water change at least once a month,..... These tanks are just too big to break down and clean like you would a 10 gallon aquarium. By doing these water changes it allows me to vaccume wastes from the gravel and lower the nitrate and ammonia levels at the same time, and...... the 100 gal has been set up for two years now without any problems......

vicky

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
With the sprinkler system topping off the pond, it is on the High water side. So I know some is going out the overflow. So I am not worrying too much about water changes. And so far everything tests ok!!  I put some Declor in it once a week or so, since the water is city water.  I figure it gets about 20 gallons of city water added every other day.

The fish are Happy and the water is clear!!
Lori TX

Offline aravenschild

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
depending on the size of your pond, if you add 20 or so gallons of water every other day ( if its from a sprinkler system, the cholorine is already dissolving as it flys through the air even before it hits your pond), you shouldn't have to add decholranater................ the cholorine that citys normal add to there water systems starts to dissapate after 12 hours, gone after 24........

basicly if you are adding 20 gallons of untreated city water to a pond that holds 150 gallons or more you are just wasting your money on decholr.............

vicky

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"