Author Topic: Suprise! / Foamy Water Part 2  (Read 1629 times)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Suprise! / Foamy Water Part 2
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:50:18 AM »
Well, well.  I have some naughty koi.  Seems they've been breeding  :o  I was doing a clean-out of my upper pond and caught a few of the mystery fish.  Definitely koi.   o(:-)  Though some are still pretty small (I think I've currently got something like 3 seperate age groups of fry) they're mostly pretty colorful  @O@  I brought the largest one inside to get a good look at him, and I'm not shocked to see that it's Butterscotch's kid (my big male).  It's an orange and white just like daddy.  But I could clearly see whiskers, so I'm sure that's no goldie.  I thought spawning went on in the spring, not this late!  I'm also a little confused as to how they made it into the top pond  :thinking:  They must've made it through the filters as eggs.  Ah well.  It'll sure be interesting to see what I end up with! 

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Suprise! / Foamy Water Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »
them babies and eggs can make it thru anything I've decided.....in order to get to our top basin they have to make it thru brushes, a mat, the pump, then into the bio where I have bird netting stuffed really tight at the bottom and then into the basin---we always find around a dozen or so up there at the end of every season  ::)....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline KatFish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »
So, you have magic koi as well...  Makes life interesting  ;)  Tho, now I'm wondering if that's what they can do as eggs, what are the adults up to?  :thinking:

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
The wonderful joys of foam.  Here was my mess from this spring.  It was such a mess.  Took a few days to get it clear again.  Like you, I have a few still in the big pond that are about 3 inches now.  I have around 30 in a smaller pond, just to watch them grow.  Some seem to appear to be longfins/butterflies. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »
Wow!  What a mess, indeed!  Mine wasn't that bad, just patches here and there, usually clinging to plants.  It was awfully hard to get rid of tho.  I'm sure this was just a practice run for them this year and I'll see foam like yours in the spring  ::)    :P

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
Wow Kim - that looks like ice. Clearly my goldies are 'less intensive' lovers.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"