Author Topic: Come on folks  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Come on folks
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:01:14 AM »
So many of you ask questions about your pond or plants. Much of our advice will be affected by your zone or location in the world. We're not asking for your address. LOL. Of course the answer will vary from what we'd say for Florida to what I'd say for Michigan. There is no potential harm if you either list your state or zone on your profile. Then it will show up each time you post and we don't have to ask you each time you have a question. Just add the info to your profile and the answers you get will be more specific to your area. Note to the left of this complaint, under my picture----it says LOCATION: Grand Rapids, Michigan, zone 5 b. If you only want to state your state (haha) or zone, that's just fine. But I suspect the zone is more important seeing that zones are not state specific. We still like to get an idea of where you are located in the world so if you list both, that is probably best.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:10:16 AM by Esther »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Come on folks
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
 O0

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »
It's a paranoid thing.  Giving a zone narrows it down to exactly where you live FAR too much. :D

Bart

Offline magoo

• Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
 Zone was 8b but more likley zone 9a now.  Even the cold hardyness zone might not be suffucient for a complete indication of climate. Both winter and summer conditions affect how plants grow. Vancouver has a similiar cold hardiness zone as south Louisiana. Having never been to Vancouver, I do not think it gets as warm as Louisiana in the summer. New Orleans is only 30 miles south of my house. May plants that die in the winter here in Ponchatoula do not die back in New Orlreans. Winters in Pensacola, FL are significately colder than ones in Miami. The more info as to location the better.

Dan McGehee
Ponchatoula, La

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:00:41 PM by magoo »
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »
Don...well hello neighbor!  We are a bit south New Orleans, down towards Houma and Thibodaux.  Nice to meet you!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:27:49 PM »
Zone was 9b but more likley zone 9a now.  Even the cold hardyness zone might not be suffucient for a complete indication of climate. Both winter and summer conditions affect how plants grow. Vancouver has a similiar cold hardiness zone as south Louisiana. Having never been to Vancouver, I do not think it gets as warm as Louisiana in the summer. New Orleans is only 30 miles south of my house. May plants that die in the winter here in Ponchatoula do not die back in New Orlreans. Winters in Pensacola, FL are significately colder than ones in Miami. The more info as to location the better.

Dan McGehee
Ponchatoula, La

That's an excellent point. It's harder to grow Peonies in the Southeast than it is here, precisely for those reasons. Gardening is like Real Estate (and kissing). It's all about location, location, location!  ;)

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
Karen,

Could you explain that a little further please?  {:-P;;
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 05:45:11 PM »
Good point, Esther.  I just wish people would put their state on their profile..... So often I read something that makes me wonder, "Now, how in the heck can THAT be the case?" and I go to see where the poster lives, and sometimes seeing the location helps understand the person's comment.  When there is no location, it leaves gaps. 

I guess I just like being able to put a location to a personality. 

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »
I did it finally, it took me a bit to figure it out but by jove if this blond could do it I bet anyone could. :D

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
I'm not blonde but didn't grow up knowing how to run computers. I was afraid to do much of anything on it because I was afraid I'd break it or mess something up. Bit by bit I've gotten past that fear and will try most anything. I hardly ever have to call somebody to say, "OK I did this and thus and such happened and now I can't-------."   I still don't really know much about how they work but have learned how to stumble around pretty well. I even use Excel and Word a bit. Probably ought to take some senior citizen classes some day. I do know though that there is a lot more to this computer than the tiny bit I know.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »
Hey, I'd put my address on here if anyone was interested.  If you come this far south then come on by and have a cup of coffee. 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »
just putting in Texas isn't gonna help much ...starts at about zone 10 and ends at zone 6...I'm 6...HOT 100+* in the summer and could be ZERO in the winter.  What works for Carlos, Tim or Kat ain't gonna work for me.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »
Isn't that the truth, the first time I drove thru texas I thought it would never end. lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:20:08 PM »
Jonna, I could kick myself for not visiting you while you were in Cathedral City.  If I ever go to Mérida you bet I'll visit!

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
Texas DOESN'T end - not when your driving in West Texas.  Those dusty roads just keep rolling on and on and on....

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:45:55 PM »
Cool Annette!  You even got the accent right.  I sometimes get lazy and don't put in the accents when I'm writing in English. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:14 AM »
Yup, that is why I put both the city, state, and zone on my profile. I assume the zones vary within most states. But at least if a person puts a state, it's better than nothing.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 05:45:45 AM »
Hey, my profile USED to say "Houston, Texas."  Wonder where it went?

I'll see if I can figure out how to get it back on there.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"