Author Topic: leaks in the skimmer  (Read 1503 times)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
leaks in the skimmer
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »
well sorry its me again, but i have had told some of you that i have been having leaks, well "let it leak", jk
but yeah i found where is the problem the sealent wasnt working, so i really need help what works better pvc cement or pvc silicone, i went to this store and they told me cement works better but i still doubt it, anyhoo what do you think?
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: leaks in the skimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
I would ask that question of the manufacturer. You should be able to Google for it and find a Contact us link.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »
lol well then i will haven to contact myslef for such a bad job, the skimmer is a diy, so  then i will have to look up and see

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
So what is the skimmer made out of? The material to be sealed determines what glue/sealant to use.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:04:46 PM by Esther »

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
sorry i had to leave so thats why i didnt answear, but now im back it is made of normal plastic, and i used pvc cement and it seems it is working, but yeah if not what can i actually use?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:10:40 AM »
I suppose there are different types of plastic. Can you get JB Weld where you are? Is the crack large? If you go to the store and look in the glue area, you will see lots of types of glue. Read the labels and look for stuff that is particularly for the plastic you have. Is your box flexible?

See I really don't know but just telling you what I'd do. Some of the glues may work for dry applications but some may not. At least we know that PVC is for wet. I might still apply silicone over the glued area. I like to make double sure sometimes.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:47:19 AM »
yeah i am so double gluing that area just to make sure
thanks esther and yeah the plastic ive got is flexible

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
Oh boy. The PVC glue is made for inflexible PVC. Where's the crack? Is it in a corner or on a flat surface?

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
it was actually where the skimmer and the liner get together, i called my bro and he said it was leaking so he went to the store and bought some silicone and he said it isnt leaking anymore  @O@, but then he looked up and so a scratch on the liner to so he had to get some epdm liner repair stuff,  so hope that is it
thanks esther youre always so cool to me  o(:-)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:30:02 PM »
Howell, it's fun to try to help somebody with something that I might know about. Glad to help.

I do a lot of repairs on things that I just can't see putting in the trash. Well this isn't actually a repair but I found 5 fancy clay pots sitting out for the trash pickup a while back. Two of them had little lizzards draped across the top edges. I grabbed them, threw them in my car and hoped noone saw me. Pete, my DH, drilled drain holes in all of them. Then I repainted the two with the lizzards. They look rustic now but I like them and they were free.

So you said you were starting college, right? What college and what are you majoring in?

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »
yeah is a mexican college called itsm, and im majoring in electronics, hope i will be good, i filled and application to do one year in an enlang college and then maybe get my masters degree in america maybe TEXAS A&M, so hope it works out, it isnt anything easy i have to take all kinds of math, yeah nice rustic thing that is awesome

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Very nice Howell, is that part of Tec de Monterrey?  Or the study abroad section?   I'm very proud that you are so young and so ambitious and working hard for what you want in life.  Good for you! 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:12:48 AM »
thank joanna and it isnt sorry i typed the other one mine is ITS, this one is in coahuila and yeah is a good one too, and yess indeed i feel like i have the worlds weight in my back, because i feel like people my age are the future in this country and this world, and we have to do a big change and help the world, sorry i thought it was the M at the end because of mexico but it isnt that one sorryy

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 07:39:10 AM »
Best wishes to you Howell. You have many years ahead of you to change the world/country. Don't lose the maturity you are exhibiting right now. Sometimes stress and pressure causes people to give up and never accomplish anything.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:02 AM »
thanks esther
youre so nice always, yeah, i dont have stress or pressure right now, so im so good with college even though i take three diffrent kinds of mathmatics and one physics i still can do them, i hope i will achieve good things in school too

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"