Author Topic: Stubborn tuber  (Read 2815 times)

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Stubborn tuber
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:09:05 PM »
Ok, I have two tubers that just won't sprout.

I received the tubers and they had very small starts on them. Maybe half an inch to an inch starts. I had two full days of rain and a bad algae bloom and the sprouts were gone.

I moved the tubers into warmer shallow water. They have been there for 3-4 weeks with no further sprouts.

Any ideas for jump starting them? They feel nice and solid, not rotting. They don't smell bad. They are a Jack Wood and a Rhonda Kay.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn tuber
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »
I have tubers that have not sprouted too this yr. It happens. I will soon put them away for the winter. It is too late in zone 6 even if they do sprout to try to grow them out this yr. I have had tubers do that and next yr they take off.

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:06:51 PM »
Hi Vicki,

Hmmm, interesting.

I was going  to try cooling them off for a period and then move them back out to the warmer water. Since I still have several months of growing season.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »
Koiedge since you are in Fla you are completely different than me weatherwise. You can try it. I have also grown tubers in aquariums all winter and had plants on them. And when the water warms up put them outside. And they have went down on me to rosette form and sit there all summer. So I am not doing that any more. Vickie

Offline enzo

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Members
  • Entrepreneur, marketer, and more...
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
Place them in a zip-lock bag and fill 1/4 with pond water. Float in a shallow section of your pond. If they are viable, they ought to sprout in a week or so.
--
Lorenzo
Buy tropical water lilies — Utopia Aquatic
An Enzo12 LLC venture

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
 :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"