Author Topic: Quarantined Koi Not Eating  (Read 783 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Quarantined Koi Not Eating
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:17:52 AM »
I fed my fish on Sunday morning, and in the afternoon fished out the injured koi, who is about 15" long, temporarily housed in a 50 gal tub with a pump to circulate and splash water.  He has several water hyacinths and a flower pot to hide in, plus a 2" baby koi for company.  There's salt in the water, to help him heal his two scraped areas more quickly.  I intended to leave him there a week, possibly longer if he doesn't appear stressed.

He hasn't eaten since that Sunday morning.

How long can he go without eating? 

About all he does is hide under the flower pot, so he's not expending much energy.  It's been raining every day, so maybe that's upsetting him, too, the splashing water, dark skies, and new, cramped environment.

Also, the blemishes are still white around the outside, with pink visible in the center.  There is white in the very center of each wound.  Is he healing?  Is it likely he will never grow back his black scales, and be left with a bare white patch of healed skin?

Thanks,

Julles

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Quarantined Koi Not Eating
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 02:11:12 PM »
Fred never eats when he is in qt either---I've had him in there as long as 2 weeks with out food and he does fine....they just aren't too happy about being away from their pond or pals....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Quarantined Koi Not Eating
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:19:33 PM »
I was told to not worry about my big fish when I went on vacation if I couldn't find somebody to come feed them and I was going to be gone over a week.

Now I know their metabolism slows down for winter but in Michigan, all our fish go from about November to April without eating. Actually without being fed. I suspect they snack a little on the algae on the sides of the pond. Sometimes I lift the deicer from the ice and stand and watch them moooooove slooooooowly arooooouuund. They often will nibble here and there.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"