Author Topic: Lotus Problem  (Read 1380 times)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lotus Problem
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
I was going to jump in on Jerry's thread when he asked, but I figured I should take pics first.  I have one lotus that isn't thriving like the other two.  The leaves are crisping around the edges even some new leaves are coming up damaged.  This sounds like fert. burn, right?  I planted all three exactly the same way (thanks, Joyce), and the other two are thriving.  So today I go to take pics, and notice a new problem.  Somebody's been nibbling on the leaves!  While pulling some fairy moss I came across the critter below.  I took a good look at my other one that's about 3 feet away and noticed nibbles there too.  Poking around, I came upon another critter.   {nono}  I don't know if you guys remember my post about the huge moth http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=6723.0 , but I wonder if these are the caterpillers?  What can I do to prevent more damage and help the crispy lotus?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Lotus Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
Use Safer Caterpillar Killer.  8)

I have had lotus die for no reason.
I have a feeling they had some kind of root problem from the get-go.  :-\
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline KatFish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »
Thanks, Joyce, will do!  Let's hope this guy's a trooper, I'd hate to lose two  :'(  I'm bad tho, I've already been thinking about a lotus bog next year....  {:-P;;  Dig? Who said that?  ::)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:43:56 AM »
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?ds=36&_dcs=1

This site has pics if you want to identify the moth and caterpillar.
Kathy

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »
That is a great site. I see so many moths and caterpillars, now I can find out what they are. Thanks

Mary

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:31:56 AM »
I have the exact same caterpillar in my garden...seems to like my parrot's feather.  I find little clumps of brownish poop that clue me in that he is around somewhere.  I also see tiny almost too small to see miniatures of a greenish caterpillar that eat little holes into my lotus pads but much slower than a solitary snail does.  I bought some BT caterpillar killer at Home depot (or Lowes) and use it.  But I also pick off the offenders and dispose (crush) them. 

I have the same look to my lotus pads...but mine is fertilizer burn for sure.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the site.  Very cool.  I found the moth, tho I don't know yet if the moth and caterpiller are the same critter.  I'll look into it a little later.  It's (the moth) a Pandorus sphinx according to the site.  Neat. Greenthumbnails, have you seen the moth too, or just the caterpiller?  Naughty bug, eating my lotus  {nono}

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »
Thanks for the site.  Very cool.  I found the moth, tho I don't know yet if the moth and caterpiller are the same critter.  I'll look into it a little later.  It's (the moth) a Pandorus sphinx according to the site.  Neat. Greenthumbnails, have you seen the moth too, or just the caterpiller?  Naughty bug, eating my lotus  {nono}

Nope...can't say I've seen that moth around here.  I get lots of butterflies and a small tan lawn moth mainly.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »
Hmm.  It would have been interesting if you'd seen the moth too.  It's probably not the same critter.  I shall find out!  O0

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
I liked that site because it shows alot of the caterpillars. Glad you found it helpful!
Kathy

Offline marla

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
I've also been having problems with 2 of my lotus...snails I think, all winter.  I think I've got them somewhat under control, the Baby Doll is finally growing, but the Carolina Queen still struggles.  To bad it will most likely never bloom this year, will have to check them over good for winter storage, maybe even a different plan.

Kathy great link this one is a bookmark for sure!!
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"