Author Topic: green water  (Read 1624 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
green water
« on: August 23, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »
I have a 4800 gallon pond. I started it in May.I have a green colored water that you can see into the pond for about 2 feet. I have tried everything on the market to clear it. Every new thing I tried cleared it for about a week to 2 then it wouldn't work again. I am turning over almost 2 times the volume per hour. I have 2 100 gallon filters filled with cut hdpe and lava rocks. I have a seperate old time looking pump just turning over the water.
I have my shelfs lined with plants. 14 to be exact. I have hyacins in the staging pond that flows to 2, 3 foot tall water falls. I have a 19x12 pergola built over the whole pond. The pond is 5.5 feet deep at its deepest point. Help someone that just wants to see his 10  fish and hopes that they will be ok. Should I drain the water and clean? HELP

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: green water
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »
No, don't drain it.  By using chemicals to clear the water, its just killing off the algae and its sitting on the bottom.  Then it will start a new algae bloom, unless you get all the dead algae out.  Others will help you out on this, but try to stay away from the chemicals.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
Get a UV. Best and quickiest way to clear your water without messing with all the shade/plant/chemical stuff. I didn't want to bother with trying to balance the pond so I went the quick way. 24 hours and done.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »
I live in Az and didn't have clear water my first ponding season.  Water was always a cloudy green.  Winter came around and it cleared up.  Then spring came around and it was green again.  After a month or so it went away.  The hot temps will cause this influx of algae.  You have to wait it out. 
Alfonso

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »
Don't drain it.

Don't use chemical algae killers, new algae blooms feed on the dead algae if you don't remove it all. Plus, you can kill your fish and other plants.

Do add plants, plants and more plants especially underwater plants like anacharis, hornwort and cabomba.

Above all, Do have patience.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
Yes i agree...and  keep the filter media clean ...i use the clay in my pond once a week...twice to start off with and mine is clear clear clear...here is a pic of it...it used to stay yuky and last year i said i was gonna clear it up if it killed me welll i'm still alive and its clear......lorraine
lorraine

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 02:34:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replys. I had a pond 1/2 this size in Florida. I went through groing pains with it also. One mysterious day my pond cleared and it never became green again. I figured the balance of bio filter, plant and shade had happened. I told myself I would not use any chemicals this time. It got the best of me and before you knew it I had bought about everyone of them. My water will not even change at all now. My fish are eating and swimming lively. I think I should add some underwater plants like someone earlier said. I will be patient LeeAnne151  I am just worried about my fish. Heck I love them. take care and any more advice will be thought highly of.

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
hello from minnesota.  i have been using barley bales for two years now and have No green water! it's unbeliveable. before i found barley i would use chemicals and anything else i could find to try and clear my water up. now once a month i put a small inexpensive barley bale under the falls and i hav no pea soup. also more plants will help clear the water.
as for your fish, that green water isnt going to hurt them. clear clear water is pretty much for looks. anyone else using barley with success?  hope this helps
andi

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Pea soup algae won't hurt your fish if you have adequete airation and filtration.
In fact, it can protect them from aerial predators.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:25:01 AM »
I would agree with everyone that said patience and plants.  ;)
It seems to me that the larger ponds are easier to maintain clear water in.  Mine is 7500 gallons and I use nothing in it, just lots of plants and a low fish load, and I have never had green water.
Welcome to the forum.

Karen

Offline cokeisit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:19:40 AM »
In a brand new pond it can take some time for the pond to "age" and develop sufficient colonies of beneficial bacteria to help with the break down of fish waste and other things that contribute to algae blooms.  Many people experience problems in the very beginning and then at the start of each season, but once the bacteria come alive in the pond and in the bio filter the water will clear.

Another thing you may want to check is to make sure your pond is not over stocked or you are not overfeeding the fish
Pond Supplies by Natural Environmental Systems

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »
Yup, here again, you'll get a different opinion from every one you talk to. I used to use Barley straw, liquid barley, and barley pellets but don't think it did anything because I haven't used it for a couple of years and see no difference. I also have used the Koi Clay and can't decide it's effectiveness either. I have used a few doses of an algaecide once in a blue moon because of the string algae even with BS. I don't know. I can give no reason that I have never had pea soup water but if I see it starting to go green, I OVER filter and clean the pads a couple times a day until it has settled down. I guess, lots of bio bugs, lots of filtration, low fish load, lots of plant cover helps a lot. I also scoop the mulm from the bottom a couple times a week. I don't have a bottom drain.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"