Author Topic: Can Fish Choke on Food and Die?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can Fish Choke on Food and Die?
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »
Just wondering, 'cause yesterday, a large, beautiful red-cap oranda was floating dead in my pond.  I had just fed the fish, and I admit that I did not do a head count, but I didn't notice anyone missing, and sure did not notice a dead fish.

15 minutes later when I finished with some chores in the turtle pond, there in the main pond was the oranda, freshly dead.  I'm not absolutely sure it died in the last 15 minutes, but it sure looked healthy and well with red gills and clear eyes and all that.  Not a mark on it.  No disturbance to the pond, no water was added, NOTHING!

I can't think of any other reason for it to have died ... Could it have choked on a piece of food?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can Fish Choke on Food and Die?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
You could have given him the Heimlic maneuver.

I don't know. That was a bad joke, huh?

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
 ;D Esther!!

Never heard of a fish choking before. I suppose it's possible.
Kathy

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
You could have given him the Heimlic maneuver.

I don't know. That was a bad joke, huh?

lol lol lol lol

Actually my cousin Mike gave one of his koi mouth to mouth when he discovered that the fish had jumped out of it's tank . He was able to save the fish too.... o( o(...we now call him "fish lips"... lol
I told him , if one of my goldies or koi ever make a leap out of their ponds he can come over & do the same for them..... {:-P;;....   lol

bonnie

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
Fish can choke, but you would have noticed it. They only choke when the food totally clogs their mouth, and they can't get water around the obstruction - so they suffocate. They can't breathe if water doesn't enter their mouth and pass over their gills.

Other than that, most fish can carry an overlarge piece of food for several days to "soften" it before finally gagging it down.

Something else killed your goldie. Did you look at the food carefully? Sometimes mold on the food has really bad results....

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:20:13 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Is this the same fish that was acting funny?

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:40:55 PM »
sorry about your fish, but I would tend to not beleive it choked, for some of the reasons givin by Sunbeam56.  Did you check the gills on the fish after it died?  if it had been acting strange, or even if it had been being a loner, and not schooling this can be a sign of illness
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"