Author Topic: So I've Caught the Ponding Bug....  (Read 1326 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So I've Caught the Ponding Bug....
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »
Oh dear, so I've caught the ponding bug...I have now decided that I must now grow more lilies (help...oh yeah everyone else has the same problem  :doh:)  So I've decided that today is the day I will go get that kiddie pool (if I can figure out how to bring it home strapped to the roof of my car) to be able to grow more lilies and test out if a particular corner where I have not been able to grow land plants because its too hot and sunny there can grow lilies.  Perfect purpose for such a site.  Then, if all goes well I can dig a small pond in the same site next year knowing that the location is good.

Bettter yet, there will be less grass to mow as I can completely skip that corner!  That is my excuse anyway.   {:-P;;
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So I've Caught the Ponding Bug....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »
I just found a kiddie pool in a pile of trash last week. It fit in my trunk.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:11:53 AM »
I am kicking myself for not getting one out of a dumpster where they were cleaning out a house to resell last month. :-\

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
Tracey if I were younger and my tummy was flatter and I was more muscular and I was taller--------------Boy I am dreaming aren't I? I think I would screw up my courage and start dumpster diving. I do stop where people are leaving things out for the trash pick up and quickly stuff them in the car though.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »
Maybe you can sink that kiddie pool into the ground, and save yourself buying a liner.

Remember to keep a few fish in your temp ponds for mosquito control.  A betta is great for that (summer time only - they're tropical fish).

You can also use them to raise your baby fish.  Because, since you've caught the ponding bug, you know you will be spawning fish and rearing the babies.    ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:32:19 AM by Julles »

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
A kiddie pool is a great way to test out a particular spot but keep in mind when you decide to put a permanent waterlily pond there, make it as big as possible because getting waterlilies is addictive  {:-P;; ;D

I've grabbed a couple thrown out kiddie pools & sandboxes for lilies out of the trash.  An EXCELLENT & durable kiddie pool is Step2 brand Big Splash pool.  No longer made so you'll need to find it resale/garage sale/eBay/Craigslist.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »
 ;D You are truly addicted....been there, done that.  Now I've got me a new "lily" pond! @O@  Thanks to Kat's beautiful teaser photos and great prices I have too many lilies, too!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
I've bought kiddie pool after kiddie pool for marginals and lots of blue and white plastic barrels for water lilies. While living in the mobile home park, I would pick up kid's sand boxes from in front of the dumpsters. Two were turtles. All three had the lids and some toys and one even had blue sand. Not sure what is special about the blue sand. Anyhow, I will be reducing the use of my kiddie pools as I build more shallow troughs.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"