Author Topic: Doing things Half-fast (think about that one a minute)  (Read 931 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Doing things Half-fast (think about that one a minute)
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »
I'm just here to belly-ache about something at work, it just drives me crazy sometimes.  And yes, I would most definitely want some cheese with my whine, thank you!

We write information, and insurance companies rely on the accuracy of our information.  If we make a mistake it can perpetually cost them thousands of dollars until we correct it, so to avoid paying fines up to $50K (as per our contracts) we will make the corrections in a timely manner once they are brought to our attention.  But what just slays me is when I am told by a Director (pretty high up) to just let mistakes go in the essence of time since we haven't received any complaints from the insurance companies thus far.

But here's the kicker: if the mistake is brought to our attention then the responsibility falls on the last person to update the information.  If I was the last one to see the mistake and I didn't correct it, then it counts against my merit increase at the end of the year.  It doesn't matter that two people before me entered the wrong information and left it as is, it matters that I was the last one to see it and I didn't correct it!  You think I can claim that upper management told me to leave it as is when we finally do get questioned about it?  Of course not. 

So ... when I find the mistakes I'm told to let them go because it takes too long to correct them.
But if the insurance companies find the mistakes then it's my fault for not correcting them when I had the chance.
How warped is that?

I mean, I can usually get things done pretty fast, but it chaps my hide when the person before me did it only half-fast and didn't fix the mistakes!!!

And what does our company try to use to pitch our products?  You probably don't have to guess, but it's the accuracy and content of our information that they claim is better than the competition!

>:(-
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Re: Doing things Half-fast (think about that one a minute)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
Shit runs downhill.  Don't you know that?

I full understand how you feel.  I came back from holidays a few weeks ago and was chewed a new one for something that was done, well not done, while I was gone and I had just found out three days after I came back that there was a problem.  Somehow it was my problem.  But, I got it fixed.

Bart

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
Better document it when upper mgmt tells you these things. You'll have something to rebutt with when they say you don't merrit a raise.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
be careful, with that because if at the end turns out to be that someone made some illegal movements you will get involved as the first suspect and something bad can happen to you, so take care
and be so so careful ok, or even record him/her whenever they say its ok to leave it like that so that way you will have some proofs, try to back yourself up the most you can
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:37:08 PM »
Do what you know to be the right thing to do. Your not going to be fired for doing the right thing. If upper management takes exception let them give voice to it to your direct supervisor, the more people that hear it the better off you are. and the more attention he gets for telling you to let it slide. I would do what covers my 6 first.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"