Author Topic: Oh where, Oh where can the Turtle be?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Oh where, Oh where can the Turtle be?
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »
My Husband and I just finished doing some Fall cleaning in the pond. As he was using the Wetvac in the pond I caught a glimps of a Turtle shell!! OK "poor thing died" was my first thought as we have not seen the turtle since spring!!!  So as I was sitting there watch the pond fill up again - THERE HE WAS watching me!!!!  He has Grown to about 4 inches!!!   @O@  Well that explains why I didnt have much luck with my waterlilies this year!!
So after I spotted him and got a good look he seems to be doing pretty well. Big enough now that I dont have to worry about him getting tangled in the string algae in the stream next spring-that is why I thought he was dead, I had to untangle him several times when he was about 2inches.

I must be doing something right with my pond - the fish are healthy - turtle growing.  I dont feed the turtle, so I assume he eats the fish food and plant matter he finds(lilies). I know as he grows he will need more than that- but how do you feed the turtle? Do I need to lure him up into the stream area on the rocks? What do they really like to eat?

Lori TX

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Oh where, Oh where can the Turtle be?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
i don't know but type in whatdo turtles eat on the computer and it should come up...lorraine
lorraine

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:56:46 PM »
Near as I can tell from reading this forum, turtles eat everything I like, fish and plants.  {nono}  I've never understood wanting one around the pond.   I like watching the sea turtles, they eat sea grass and algae type stuff.  I'd be using the fresh water ones as a frisbee if I ever found one around my pond.

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
I just cant bring myself to release him into the wild. He worked so hard to find my little puddle in my fenced backyard! The creek is about a 1/4 mile away so I think his mom layed eggs a little too far from the creek. He was about the size of a Half Dollar coin when he showed up in my pond.
I know eventualy I will have to take him down by the creek and let him go, but for now he can stay. I know how big he will get, the ones down by the creek and at the lake are the size of dinner plates!!! I have seen them crossing roads in my neighborhood!!  I figure by the end of next year we will have to set him free. 

He is definatly a Red Ear Slider! His markings are good and clear.
Lori TX

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »
From what I understand juveniles are primarily meat eaters with some snacking on veggies and mature turtles are veggie eaters with an occasional meat snack.  I can testify to the fact that mature turtles like plants  >:(-  Kamala was brave enough to volunteer to take both of my girls.  Hopefully the weather will remain warm enough for what's left of my tropicals to put out some growth....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
Hi Loritx.

I am certainly not a turtle expert in any sense, however, I have learned a few things from my neice and my turtles.  At 4 inches or so, your turtle is surely pretty young.  At that stage, they do prefer a more meaty diet.  I would recommend watching where he/she prefers to hang out for sunning, and set a few mealworms (petco, petsmart, etc... they need to be refrigerated) there.  Turtles love these things.  I used to hand feed  mine, but they were getting too close to my fingers, I now use a fork.  You can probably even try earth worms from your yard.  They do sell pellets for turtles, but they are expensive, and your fish will gobble them up.  Water turtles must be in water to swallow, something to do with not having saliva, or something.  Even if the meal worms fall into the water and drown, either your fish or the turtle will eat them.  After a feeding, my turtles go crazy searching the pond for any that may have dropped to the bottom.  Good luck.  I hope this helps.

kamala

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"