Author Topic: Speaking of Vivips  (Read 626 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Speaking of Vivips
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
Speaking of vivips..... I saw the tutorial by Sean and then read as many other tutorials/comments as possible.  I decided to trying growing a bunch of tropicals to donate to my watergardener group for our May plant sale.  We're non profit and, with our sale & pond tour profits, give grants to public places (schools, parks, cancer center) for watergardens for education & meditation.  I got a bunch (36) Panama Pacific vivips from a club member.  They were already growing small roots in his pond, some still attached to the mother pad and some just floating around loose.  I planted them in 16 oz plastic cups and, 1 week later, the nickel sized pads of the vivips I got are growing their own tiny vivips!  Unbelievable.

My other vivips (Tina, Lindsey Woods) are doing great after a week also.  I am putting them outside in AZ with 120 watt grow lights on from 6:00 pm to 9:00 am.  In other words, they are getting 24 hours of light and growing substantial roots in a week.  The sun keeps them warm in the day and the lights take over at night. I just got Queen of Siam and expect it to do just as well.  Once these babies get potted I will cut the lights but heat the water to 70+ and see what happens.

I will be gone from home until the end of October, but I would be willing to swap some Panama Pacific (and maybe others) for vivips I don't have.  I would keep the first plant of each type and then donate any others to the club.  I don't know how you do this.  Can you send babies and keep them alive?

If you respond to this, don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for awhile.  I only have an ancient unreliable laptop and I am unsure of the hotel capabilities where I am going in Lincoln, NE.  I am flying to MN, picking up my 94 year old mom, driving her to NE and spending about 10 days there with her at the German Wirehaired Pointer National Show & Field Trials and then driving on to AZ.  Then after a day in AZ I head over to NM for a 2 week job followed by a bead retreat.  However, my DH will be home tending the babies and watching them grow!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"