Author Topic: I'm finally ready for the big one....  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I'm finally ready for the big one....
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:52:07 AM »
For decades we Californians have been warned we need to be prepared for the "Big One".  And for decades I've always had that in the back of my mind that I should be prepared.....but I never got around to it.....

In case of a major earthquake they say we should be self sufficient for a minimum of 3-5 days.  Water and natural gas will be down.  Freeways will not be traversable as many will have collapsed overpasses, preventing vehicle travel on both the freeways and surface streets.  There will be an immediate run on grocery stores as panic sets in. 

I guess the gulf hurricanes motivated me because last week I FINALLY got around to ordering some basics and today they arrived:
- 30 gallon plastic barrel
- Water preserver guaranteed to preserve barrel water for 5 years
- Hand pump for barrel
- Wrench for barrel
- Emergency food bars for 5+ days (With canned goods in the house and food in fridge/freezer we should have plenty to eat)
- Thermal sleeping bags (I don't expect our house to go down.....but just in case) 
- Sanitation supplies
- Crank emergency flashlight
- Crank emergency combo radio, flashlight and cell phone charger

I still have a few odds and ends to pick up but I have the important stuff.  I'll print out disaster guidelines and put them with the other supplies.  The guidelines have useful information such as the correct ratio of drops of bleach per gallon of water to make it drinkable.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I'm finally ready for the big one....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:43:57 AM »
Mikey,
I have always heard that when the big one hits, the left side will fall into the ocean. :o
Maybe some scuba gear? ;)

But seriously, the first thing I'd get would be a generator and an ample supply of gas.
I have a friend who lives 80 mi north of Galveston, and he had just that, and that was a life saver.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:45:48 AM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:52:02 AM »
The generator was a big improvement on life after the hurricane - I expect it would be after an earthquake too.

You have vastly too little food and water.
We keep about 40 pounds of dry rice and dry beans around. And use it.
30 gallons is enough to drink and cook, but not enough to bathe. After the hurricane, the physical labor is pretty intense, and bathing was a definate plus for both cleanliness/comfort, and medicinal reasons - aching muscles.

3-5 days is an overly optimistic goal. We were without power for 11 days. Winnie, Texas, still hasn't received any formal relief - private groups have been there, tho.

If you don't have them, you need construction and destruction supplies. Crowbars, hammers, a supply of nails, chainsaws, ropes, chains, come-alongs and winches. The immediate aftermath is clean up. And the hardware stores aren't open.

With the generator, we have developed a lot of our supplies in the freezer - meat, veggies, ice. I don't guess that would be a good strategy for an earthquake. If the house were damaged, the freezer would be pinned or made unavailable.

Just some thoughts.

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:38:24 AM »
There sure is a lot to think about isn't there. You really take for granted a lot of things in your life. We don't get a lot of natural disasters up here.. but we are on a fault line (we felt the Tacoma quake enough to really shake us up and some of our property) so do have some stuff. Our trailer is basically our kit. We always have that stocked (and restocked each weekend) with pretty much everything on both lists. Our trailer is also situated just down the street from us and in a open field where no trees or anything else can fall on it.

And on that note, I need to go blow the water lines to winterize it.... We now have 30 gallons of fresh water stored inside the stick house and will drain the fresh water tank in the trailer when its not safe to have it  in there and find another solution for our bathing water.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
A trailer or RV is a great earthquake resource, you have the generator, cooking, refrigerator that runs on propane and you can even drive it away if necessary.

I always figured the swimming pool was my emergency water, that and enough chlorine to keep it safe.  Ours did get a crack in Loma Prieta but mainly they crack up around the coping as ours did, just lost about a foot of water.

Make sure you have that weird wrench that turns off the gas.  You don't want the electric coming back on with the gas on. 

Perhaps a solar pump to keep the fish alive? 

I'm contemplating all this for a hurricane kit.  I don't need a lot but a solar pump would be nice.  So would a generator but I'm not thinking about that yet.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »
Hey, thanks for the suggestions.  More things to put on my Christmas list...... ::)

Steve: I'm hoping that the property of the neighbor behind me ends up in the surf and I have beach front propety....  @O@

I listed "Water Preserver" above.  As I read the instructions I immediately recognized the ratio of drops of this preserver per 1 gallon of water was the same as listed in my emergency guidelines for adding household bleach to water to make it safe for drinking....  :thinking:  So I read the ingredients....."5.25% sodium hypochlorite, 94.75% inert ingredients"......  BLEACH & WATER!  I paid 12 bucks for a tiny bottle (0.73 fluid oz) of common household bleach.....  Live & learn......

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »
Great list Mike!  I too have all these preparation supplies ready too.  Everyone else also had great suggestions.  A generator would be very useful but during the big one there may not be any gas for power.  I have a couple of reserve propane tanks though, good for heating outdoors or cooking.

Steve: I'm hoping that the property of the neighbor behind me ends up in the surf and I have beach front propety.... 
ME TOO!!!!  @O@

And now I have 2 ponds, which I hope are not the first things to fall into a crack, for water and if necessary food (ugh, how desperate could we get!  :o ).  Will need to find more barrels for water  :P

My greatest concern living in cramped suburb quarters is where can I keep all my supplies and tools safely for possible use?  From collapsing structures or ground, heat, and vermin?  Right now I have most of these supplies near strong walls and in different locations in the house. 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »
(from Roark)
Mikey - you are radically understocked on water. By a factor of about 10x.
Did you go through the Northridge quake? (Roark was in Simi during that one). The biggest issue after that quake was water. Southern California is DRY. You need water to replace the sweat that living in the open will create.

Get a bag (its a dry powder) of Pool Shock - available everywhere - its concentrated powdered bleach. Easy to store. Calcium hypochlorite.
Gatorade powder.
Sodium thyosulfate.
And the stuff for porta potties - the formulation that contains formaldehyde.

Maps - when the freeways are unusable, you need to figure out how to get from here to there - and back.
An out of state contact number for the whole family - so survivors can report in and rest the mind of the rest of your family. Or call for assistance.
Make friends with a amateur radio operator. (HAM) after Northridge there was a period that the only communication was by radio. Every neighborhood has an antennae farm - at the base you will find an old grumpy man waiting for the "big one" - and that is a useful thing.

Dust masks. Visine. An earthquake kicks up a lot of dust.
Get gloves. Safety glasses. Steel toed shoes.
A demolition hammer and LONG prybar (they are called wrecking bars) was really handy. A LARGE crescent wrench.
If your house hasn't been retrofitted with an inertial gas shutoff - you need one. They cost about $130, and the gas company will usually install it for you for free. That way your house doesn't turn into a torch.

A pigtail that will allow you to connect your generator directly into the house - extension cords are a tripping hazard. By shutting off excessive loads at the breaker box, you can use the house wiring - assuming the house is still habitable.

An inverter that allows you to convert power from your car or other engine to useful things like tools and fans.

Plastic. duct tape.
Great stuff sealer - works great for cracks in walls, pools, on a temporary basis.
Fly and mosquito spray and fogger.
Flashlights (LED is best). Not looking for the brightest - looking for the longest run time, rechargeable.
Waterless hand cleaner.
Johnson's baby shampoo. Can be used as a body wash as well as a shampoo - but if you don't have enough water to do a complete rinse, it won't cause a rash.

Sawsall with demo blade that will cut metal or wood. If you have to free someone from a collapsed two story building - or a sofa for that matter - you need to get through the rubble.

A cooking source that does not rely upon existing tech. Like a Coleman camping stove.
A WEEK of ABUNDANT food - you may be cooking for more people than you realize.
MREs and survival food taste awful, and they are too light for most people to live on for a long time. No reason to overstock on them. You will want to eat normally, just increase the portion sizes for your extra work. You will probably be near or in your home. Rice-beans-canned tomatoes are the start of a good meal with some cooking skill. Tuna, chicken, ham, spam (gack), chili... all sorts of good canned meats.

A length of hose so you can siphon off gas from abandoned or unusable vehicles.

Most people in cities are convinced Walmart will be open the next day, it won't. A ditch kit can save your life. You need two - the one for staying, and the one for moving out. Interchangeable lists. But if you are hiking to a FEMA transportation site, you need a different set of tools than if you are making do until normalcy returns.

A 2000 watt Honda is enough of a generator. All you need is a fridge, and a box fan. You don't need massive electricity - you need reliable and quiet power.

Do you have a ShopVac? Very handy.

If you have a pond, a katadyn filter - converts pond water to water that is potable.
You need buckets to move water around - flush toilets if the rest of the sewerage system is still working.

Roark recommends you google "Nuclear war survival skills" by Cresson Kearney.

Roark's final comment - test and retest everything. Do not assume everything in storage will work. Supplies are important, but data is more important. How long will the lanterns run? How long with the batteries really last? How long will your pond last without pumping?
You have to de-rate things for age - old batteries don't last as long.
Old people don't last as long, either. Be reasonable about what you can do. Don't plan on being superman - cuz you will hurt yourself.
Hands - feet - sleep. You have to protect them all. Any little infected cut can be life threatening. If you can't sleep, you must medicate to sleep - otherwise your judgment goes away.

You'll laugh, but card games. After Northridge, the neighborhood Roark was in played Yatzee and Monopoly until it got old.
Lawn chairs. They spent a lot of time sleeping in lawn chairs. Aftershocks, you know... and an uncertainty about whether the house will hold.
Someone in the house needs to have a bicycle. For when the gasoline runs out, and if the roads are impassable.

Benadryl. Alcohol for "medicinal" purposes. At least a month's supply of necessary meds, if you are on something important to your daily life - 3 months supply. After the hurricane, we were so busy I forgot my daily vitamin. That alone made me more tired and subject to depression - keep up your meds.

(personal note - Roark doesn't do things by halves. My house has a three car garage - we have the last bay of the garage dedicated to hurricane supplies.)

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »
Savannah: thanks for taking the time to report your and Roark's experience and recommendations.  There's a lot there to digest....

One other thing I hear that's recommended is keeping a supply of cash on hand.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:30:10 AM »
Mikey: 

A couple of other things to add:

1).  Without opening an undesireable (and inappropriate) debate over weaponry, etc, consider how you might defend your position if undesireables come calling. And calling they will come!  Savannah had an uninvited "visitor" late one night right after the hurricane (DangitDawg cured this nicely), while a friend of ours had a carload of undesireables pull-up in an attempt to loot his barns (which was cured instantly by bringing an assault rifle and large-bore pistol to bear on the miscreants). In both cases nobody got hurt, but it took a force-multiplier of some sort to re-establish the proper & lawful order of things.  I'm a firm believer that 99.9% of folks are good humans, but I would always consider that last 0.1% and plan accordingly. 

2).  Your comments on keeping cash are bang-on.  We went to (and in many ways still are in) a cash economy here locally post-Ike. When the phones don't work, credit cards are useless, and the highly-touted "FEMA Fuel" was nowhere to be found.  Just the fuel bill alone for part-time running of generators for 11 days amounts to over $400.  Add to that other necessities such as vehicle fuel and the occasional surprise tool or two and you're most of the way through a $1000. Ouch!

3).  I'm not going to bag on FEMA, but after repeated experiences with the lads, I'm here to tell you they're simply not reliable. Good intentions: Yes.  Implementation... well... :)  My advice would be not to depend on anyone/anything other than yourself and a few VERY close friends.  If any of your disaster plans include "Get X from FEMA...", you may need a containgency plan.  O0

Neat Story:  My neighbor was working to clear his yard after Ike when suddenly this caravan of cars stops, a bunch of kids get out, and the biggest of the bunch politely yells "Hey Mister!?!  Can we HELP?".  Umm... sure!  So something like a dozen well-groomed and ultra-polite kids march forward and start dragging limbs, cutting branches, and in less than 20 minutes had the front yard DONE.  They refused payment, food or water, saying only "thanks for letting us help" whereupon these kids loaded-up, went down the road a bit and repeated this performance.  Later we found-out they did this ALL WEEK LONG WORKING 8 HOUR DAYS.  Further investigation shows these kids were sent by the Mormon churches.  It was an incredible performance, and they didn't "push their product" at all. They saw a need and filled it. Their works said it all.  More than a few of the townsfolks started talking about contributing to the "MEWA" (Mormon Emergency Works Agency... and no, it doesn't really exist... except perhaps in practice!) and abolishing FEMA entirely.  lol   

I do rant... :)

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
Thanks Roark!  That is a very heart warming "Neat Story." 

It's horrible when I have feelings of mistrust towards good-doers.  Just reading your story I was already thinking "don't let them on your property!"  Scary times and desperate people live amongst us.

Thanks Savannah and Roark for opening my eyes for preparing for a disaster.

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 02:14:35 PM »
don't know if anyone mentioned M R E'S  but they are perfect for the situation..lets see what we had hhhmmm yes definitely generator...u maybe out for a week or a month...get some tarps...in case roof leaks..buy a couple of those little moisture fans if its HOT there like here.....lorraine
lorraine

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 07:09:02 AM »
Mikey, I heard there was a small earthquake this morning. Was it anywhere near you?
That must be a strange feeling- having an earthquake within hours or days of preparing for it.
Hope everyone is OK out there.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
Good Morning Karen.  I heard on the radio about a small earthquake (4.something) near Yucaipa.  I used to live in Yucaipa which is located some 80 miles east of me in the foothills not too far from the San Andreas fault.  I slept right through it and likely would not have felt it even if I had been awake. 

I'm now working on instructions that I will place with the earthquake supplies so that if I'm stranded away from home the fetching one will know where to find things and what she should be doing.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
yeah, I felt that quake...it rumbled here for a few seconds then the house crackled...and it was gone.  if we have "the big one" I guess I'm having sushi in the back yard for a couple days, then maybe some cockatoo a la orange! 

oh stop it...I was just kidding! lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »
Your cockatoo is thinking.... hmmm, humans, wonder if they taste like chicken?
 lol

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
Your cockatoo is thinking.... hmmm, humans, wonder if they taste like chicken?
 lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
Blind'Too, it's more like you would be giving Rocky your very last cracker instead of eating it yourself.    {:-P;;

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"