Author Topic: winters coming  (Read 1356 times)

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
winters coming
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
winters coming  :'( how do I get my pond ready for winter? I'm new to ponding just started this spring o(  what do I do to keep my fish safe over the winter??? o(

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: winters coming
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »
You will get a lot of good advice here when we find out where you live. That matters alot.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
Yes, what Steve said.  Hard to give you any idea unless we know how cold your area gets.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline wags

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »
I live central Illinois where the winters can get down to around zero at times with wind chills below..
Our pond is two foot deep..

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
Welcome Wags!
You can put your location under your profile so ponders here can tell right off the bat where you are.  Zone location also helps.  8)
Wish I could help you but I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  There are many who can help you though!   O0  Hold on!

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »
Well, living north of you a bit, here is what I do: In late fall, I bring my goldfish in to a stock tank, and the little ones in an aquarium, turn off all of the pumps, leaving them in the bottom of the pond. I cut off all of the growth on my pond plantsand put them in the deepest part of the pond,

then, I GO ICE FISHING O0 @O@ @O@ @O@

In the spring, I start all over.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
Well, living north of you a bit, here is what I do: In late fall, I bring my goldfish in to a stock tank, and the little ones in an aquarium, turn off all of the pumps, leaving them in the bottom of the pond. I cut off all of the growth on my pond plantsand put them in the deepest part of the pond,

then, I GO ICE FISHING O0 @O@ @O@ @O@

In the spring, I start all over.

Steve

Doing it that way Steve at least you don't have to worry about what your fish are doing all winter :o.   Our pond is deep enough for over wintering, but really could be deeper.  As Steve said, trim back all lilies.....depending on how deep they are you may be able to leave them.  I leave all my marginals alone, my water freezes solid there, but they do fine.  I do not trim back my Iris and cattails till later when the ice is about there, and the only above the water line, trimming them below the waterline can sometimes kill them.  I leave all my hardy lilies where they are also, they are deep enough that they will not freeze.  All the tropical plants, lilies and marginals, I take in the basement and place in a preform pond, and rubbermaid containers under grow lights for the winter.  I use only a small 250gph pump placed up off the bottom in a basket, just so the water wiggles, you do not want it to be bubbling way up.  This keeps a hole in the ice for gas exchange......you do not want this hole to close, it may get smaller but always keep it open.  If you have it bubbling to high it will form a dome of ice over the bubbler.  Some people here also use a "tote box" heater, and all say they work great, I have all the stuff, I just need to build one.  You will probably get lots of answers.....see what works best for you and stick with it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
Here's a tutorial that I wrote a while back based on what I do.  http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1019.0\

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 03:59:55 PM by Esther »

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:30:46 AM »
I was going to add a few suggestions for “wags,” but after reading the tutorial by “Esther” there was nothing left to say.  Job well done Esther.  That should be required reading for all ponders.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:12:36 AM »
Wow, thanks, Phylal. There is a couple things you can say about me that is true. I love DIY and figuring out how to solve a problem with DIY. The other is that I like to think things through and organize stuff. DH just said yesterday after I packed all the pool, pond, and yard stuff into our pool shed, that I missed my calling. I should have been a professional organizer. He on the other hand has the tendancy to plunk things down right inside the door or in the walk path so you have to climb over things to get anywhere. Oh well, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"