Author Topic: Is it a sign  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Is it a sign
« on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »
that your getting older, when you get excited about a refridgerator being delivered.  They're suppose to deliver it this afternoon.  We would have rather picked it up, but they said they only deliver.  Oh well, they will take the old one away for free.  Can't complain.

I told my boys, that if we're not home by the time they get here.  Just put the cats in the bedrooms and shut the door.  Unload the frige as soon as your get home from school.  (not much in there from Ike, and was waiting to get a new frige before re-stocking it). 

The guy at home depot thinks one of my boys are 18, lol.  Because he handed him a card and said, if your parents aren't home and they deliver it.  Look it over really well and make sure you don't see any dents or scratches.  If you do call this number....ha ha.  So, even if we don't connect with the delivery.........I think it will be alright with my boys being home.  Hopefully, I'll be the delivery home.  Sometime between 3 and 5.  I get off from work at 3:30, same as my dh.  But I work closer to home.  They are going to call when they get ready to come to our house.  If they are running early and call, kids are either going to call dad and he will leave work early.  Or if no answer they will call dh's cell phone.

Why is it so hard to do everything.  Just want a fridge delivered..???  You would think with the economy being as tough as it is, they would make every effort to work with peoples work schedules.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a sign
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
Age has nothing to do with it Kim. I would be excited too. I hate my fridge and it is only a couple of years old. I hope one of the fridges go out at our rentals so I can unload this one on them and get a new one here.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
As expensive as they are getting, delivery of a new fridge would be most exciting.
I would love to have a new fridge but that isn't going to happen for awhile. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
Our was 18 years old.  It dripped water inside, and would make ice cubes in the egg tray.  Had several people over the years come and look at it and would find nothing wrong. Or they would say the little drain hole in the freezer was the problem.  Not it.  The bottom of the frige often had water inside.  My eggs would freeze and anything you would put towards the back.

I'm very tickled to have a new one.  This is a Maytag 25 cubic, side by side, ice and water on the door...etc.  Meat drawer and veggie drawer.  Deep doors for milk, etc...it was 899.00, marked to a new low price 799.00.  Then another 10% off sale.  Free delivery after the rebate and haul away of the old fridge.  So, I feel I got a good price compared to alot of others out there.

Kim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:33:42 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
 @O@ @O@ @O@...nope never too old to get excited over
something like that....WOOOHOOOO a new fridge... @O@ @O@...it's always fun getting
a new appliance every so often. ;D
I'm happy for ya !

bonnie

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »
I'm excited about the new fridge in my house.  I've only bought one other fridge new, so this one was exciting.  Every other house we bought had one that worked so I couldn't justify it.  In our last house, the one that was there finally died.  It was Avocado green so that tells you it was pretty old. I'd even spray painted it with that granite look spray to get rid of the color but for 5 more years it just kept working.  Finally, they couldn't fix it.  I went to Sear's and bought what I thought would be the coolest ever refrigerator, it was a side by side.  That's when I discovered that I don't like side by sides because there wasn't very much room on either side.  I lived with it though until we sold the house.  This time, my friend told me that the true test is whether a pizza box can fit on the refrigerator side.  I had decided this time that I wanted the freezer on the bottom since I don't use it as much.  Also, I had to have one with a completely flat front because they are covering it with the wood from the cabinets.  I must have looked at every refrigerator in the whole Republic of Mexico.  I think there was ONE that had both those requirements and I bought it.  We'll see if I still like it once I use it.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »
Not strange, when you live with an appliance for so long and it's time for a new one, it's like anything else new...exciting to beat all.  Jonna I had an Avacodo one also, my mom still has all her avacodo appliences and they still work.  I got a new fridge a couple years ago and don't like it, DH picked it out....never again will that happen, it is narrower then the last, and deeper, and taller, can't wait for it to die in probably 8 yrs then I pick out the new one.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:20:56 AM »
My neighbor was in Galveston last weekend, which was hit hard by Hurricane Ike.  Everyone left the island, and they wern't allowed back until week(s) later.  So, after all that time without power, you can imagine the mess.  Judy said people took their refrigerators and didn't even open them; just tossed them - full - out onto the street curb.  She said the whole island was a mass of tree limbs, refrigerators, and flies.

My Whirlpool is 20 yrs and holding.  Helps to have a one-person household; not much stress on the refrigerator. 

I really would like a side-by-side, because I want that larger freezer space, but the cove my 'fridge is pushed into is only 32" wide.  We built a wall alongside it, to hide the side of the refrigerator, which looks nicer, but it takes away the 4" I need to get a decent sized side-by-side. 

My first refrigerator was an avacado number I inherited from my aunt, and I spray painted it white, like you above.  It must have been 20 years old when I got it, and I had it at least another 10 years, moving it from apartment to apartment, and from St. Louis to Denver to Houston.  Kenmore, still worked, and sold it when I moved to a place that had one furnished.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »
Kim, congrats. I really hope you like your new fridge.  O0

I have fridge stories too.  :) When we moved to Virginia and bought a house, the owners wanted an extra 1200$ for the fridge. We were like 'are you kidding?'. We almost canceled the deal but the real estate agents said they'd each forfeit 600$ of their commission so the folks could get the money for that fridge. I don't understand why they had such a connection to that silly appliance. When we had friends over, they would comment on what a nice fridge it was. I don't know why.

After a few years here in Illinois, I decided to get rid of the side-by-side for a traditional freezer-on-top fridge and it's not all that great.

My dream is to have a full size fridge AND a full size freezer. I'm not good with freezers, when I try to get something everything else seems to fall out and it's overstuffed most of the time.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
Wow, you got a good deal on the fridge. :)
Personally, I don't like the side-by-sides. Seems like everything is crammed into them and you have take everything off the front of each shelf to see what is behind or take something out of the back.  I would like to have one of the big single door fridges that has the freezer on the bottom.
I'm currently using the old GE side-by-side that was in the house we are renting. It works really well, can't complain there but It doesn't have an ice maker so that's been a pain.
Everything is always crammed into it and I don't like have to unload it to look for something. I have a GE single door fridge that is about 8 years old. Its in the basement. It works pretty well too but its been moved so many times that its all scratched up and dented. Its really pretty ugly.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
After weeks of refrigerator shopping, I finally got a Maytag with the freezer on the bottom and an ice maker.  The freezer isn't huge and the ice maker takes up a lot of the room but we are also getting a small chest freezer for the pantry.  I like the size of the refrigerator section a lot.  It's the full width and seems spacious to me. You got to remember though that I've been living in an RV with a pretty small refrigerator and minuscule freezer for about 7 years.  In our condo the reefer is also really small, I couldn't even fit everything from the RV fridge into it.  So, I think it will seem spacious to me. 

I also got a wine cooler that is built into the cabinets.  It has a glass front and I can replace the bottle holders with racks.  I am calling it my fruit cooler.  Down here, fruit goes bad overnight if left out.  It's hard to get it to just perfect since it won't ripen at all in the reefer.  So, I have this wine cooler that I can set at a higher temp than the refrigerator, it has a glass front and you can turn on the light inside from the front.  I figure I can look and see what fruit I have and not stand there with the door open poking around.   Plus, I can have the inside around 70f and the fruit will ripen but not so fast.

I'm excited about the chest freezer too, I can get a deal on large cuts of cheap meat for the dogs and freeze it ahead.  It's really tough to feed the dogs raw meat and bones with these tiny freezers I have.  I gave up recently and put them back on dry dog food and I can tell the difference in their coats and they are all gaining weight. 

I kind of went nuts on appliances, I've never bought all new appliances at once before.  It was scary and fun at the same time.   I had to get them all early because they are building the cabinets around them and needed the exact dimensions.  They are all sitting in the living room in boxes now waiting for the cabinet maker.  I figure this is a once in a lifetime event, I should get it right.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 05:59:05 PM »

I'm excited about the chest freezer too, I can get a deal on large cuts of cheap meat for the dogs and freeze it ahead.  It's really tough to feed the dogs raw meat and bones with these tiny freezers I have.  I gave up recently and put them back on dry dog food and I can tell the difference in their coats and they are all gaining weight. 

I want to get a dog, and want to feed it right as well. Hopefully your new system will work for them.

In our condo the reefer is also really small

I'd keep the dogs away from the "reefer" though.  ;) Bad dogs!

The Human digestive tract isn't that much different from a dog. Steak is good for both humans and dogs.  o(:-)

So Kim, did you get your fridge???
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »
Yes, they were running ahead of schedule.  Called dh cell phone and he had to leave work early.  Its big, bigger than it looked in the store.  Everything always looks smaller in the store.  Its really got me motivated to get everything else fixed up.  Like a new kitchen floor, and when tax time comes again I'm thinking about kitchen cabinets.

Still need to order the boys carpet.  I have 1 closet left to paint in their room.  Hard to get much done when ya both work.  Tuesday and Wednesday I didn't paint anything.  Took the time to get some of my tropicals put into the gh.  Tonight I painted the laundry closet. 

I called the company about a gallon of paint I bought.  23.54 a gallon, one of the gallons was so think.  Almost like old glue, or maple syrup on a cold winter day.  They're going to reimburse me for all 3 gallons.   @O@  cool beans, I won't complain.

I think very soon, I'm gonna feel like I've moved into someone else's house.  At least I hope I do.

Kim

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 06:11:39 AM »
Congrats Kim!

It is a sign that you are getting older when you open up the refrigerator to put away the CEREAL, which I did yesterday!
Or open up the cabinet door to put away the milk, which I have done before!

OLD age....... ;)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »
LOL @ Bonnie.

Kim

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »
Sign  of getting old?  You gals are killing me, your in your 30s and 40s and your talking about being old?
Don't think so!

I'm thinking your all young chicks O0 @O@
It's a sign of something else----------------

Exciting would be finding one in the dumpster that worked ;)
Steve
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:58:09 PM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"