Author Topic: pond de-icer  (Read 1112 times)

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
pond de-icer
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
As you know I'm new to ponding so I will probably have many questions now and in the future :-\  So now I'm wanting to know about pond de-icer's   :-\ If I decide to leave my fish in the pond over the winter when do you add the de-icer??? Is it after the pond freezes over??? Also do you shut off the pump for the winter?? Our neighbor says he leaves his pump on all winter :D  I've read to take the pump out so I was wondering about how the fish will get  enough oxygen?? o(  o(

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: pond de-icer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
Again, our answer depends on where you are located. Go to your profile and fill in the zone or the city and state if you wish. I put my deicer in when the water starts to freeze so I don't get caught having to make a hole with hot water to put in the deicer.

I turn off the pump to the waterfall when the ice starts to form on the waterfall so it will vary from winter to winter. I do not want to risk an ice dam forming and diverting the water out of the pond. I don't like paying to have the pump running when I don't have to.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: pond de-icer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
Esther is right about knowing where you live, if you don't mind sharing that info it is easy to update your profile with at least the state and or your tempate zone.
Like Esther we turn our pump off for the winter, not only does it save us money on the electric for a few months, but we don't have to worry that ice may form in an area and divert the waterflow out of the pond, nothing worse then loosing water in the winter.  As for O2, colder water holds more and the fish are in a sort of state of lethregy and they do not need as much.  We use a small pump about 250gph set about at the mid water level and just enough force to just wiggle the water so it does not freeze in that area, leaving an opening for gas exchage.  This year I think I will also try to build the totebox heater so many ponders use, I've had the stuff for a couple years just have not gotten it built.  Put in your deicer, bubbler pump, totebox heater etc. before the ice is on the pond.  And never pound on the ice to break it, boiling water is a much better option.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"