Author Topic: Braeden came home, went back, UPDATE  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Braeden came home, went back, UPDATE
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:10:41 AM »

Home Sweet Home
Posted 18 minutes ago
Well, wooo hoooo, we are home! We arrived home yesterday afternoon. Braeden soon disappeared into his room to play with his toys and the big kids. He was so happy to be home. He played quite a bit last night, even though we would hear "Ow" often. He was tired by bedtime though, and went to sleep really quickly. We are giving him IV fluids at night all this week since he isn't drinking or eating well yet. That went just fine last night--no beeping!! We used a fair amount of pain medicine last night too--maybe he played too much! He's happy to be home, though, and that's what counts. Unless there are any issues, we are home until Friday. Bub will have regular labs, a spot urine, and have some other stuff checked in clinic. Dr. Axtell will be talking to U of M, and we will be making arrangements for our next step. Please keep those details in your prayers, and our insurance issues as well! Lots of stuff to work out!
No matter what, though--IT'S GREAT TO BE HOME!!! :-)

I believe the insurance issues Dawn mentions means that when Braeden has treatments outside of Grand Rapids, insurance doesn't want to pay it.

I am excited to say that someone sent an anonymous gift to Kevin and Dawn and it will start his snowblower fund. There is a man from church who plows for him for free but he always plows his paying customers first of course. Kevin's driveway is long and gravel and last winter he was stuck 3 times. He doesn't like Dawn having to maneuver the drive in the snow when she has to often talke Bub to the hospital/clinic. They bought an old 4 wheel drive Pathfinder earlier this year just because of that. But now he's looking for a "beefy" snowblower.

Last night a old neighbor called. They have been moved away maybe 4 years now. Her son had talked with Kelly, my younger son, at the gas station a couple of days ago and Kelly told him about Braeden. As we talked, I sugested she look at the Care Pages and UM maybe contribute to the Children's Neublastoma Cancer Foundation. They are having a fund raiser soon. They encourage people to skip buying lunch and contribute the money they would have spent. So I thought it wasn't pushy to ask for her to do that. By the time we were done talking, she was hinting that she and her husband were going to start a neighborhood fundraiser for the snowblower.

She had done that for a neighbor boy who 25 years ago was in a terrible accident and his brother and another young neighbor were killed. The neighborhood got money together to buy him a waterbed because his shoulder was terribly broken and he could come home sooner to a waterbed than to a hard mattress.

Then she called back to make sure he wanted a snowblower and not a blade for a truck. Her husband was already looking into something.   RAHHHHH!!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 06:10:45 PM by Esther »

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Braeden came home
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
 @O@ Great news!!!!  @O@

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
Really great news.................. @O@
Plus...
My apreciation to the woman you talked about in the lower section....
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
Very glad to hear that Braeden is feeling well enough to play again after the big surgery he has just gone through. 

If the neighbours are able to help out the family with a fundraiser for a snow blower that would be a very generous and useful gift to them.  People so often want to help out and if someone is able to take the lead others are grateful for the opportunity to participate.

Continued good wishes for Braeden and all of you.  Hope you're over your cold soon and can go and see the little fellow.

emm

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:33 PM »
WOOOHOOOO @O@  @O@
That is Great new's...glad to hear Braeden is now home.
Thankyou for keeping us updated !

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Braeden came home WHOOPS, sorry
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
They took him back this afternoon as the pain he's exhibiting is not normal for a week after the surgery. Kevin had some other questions that haven't been answered so is going down there tomorrow and going to  >:(- ask some questions. >:(

Offline Krista

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 11:52:52 PM »
Well, hope the pain issue is just because he's trying to be a normal kid doing too much for his current condition. He's in my thoughts..

ps, my scrapbooking group has started on cards for him... I did have an additional thought.. would his folks want/need a set of blank cards or thank-you cards they can send out as needed? We could do that too for them.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:24:14 AM »
That's great news!  @O@

Even if he has to go back, the playing, and the being home, will speed his recovery.  O0

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:08:05 AM »
Krista, Blank thank you cards would be a nice gift. They are constantly sending thank yous.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:05:39 AM »
Oh no, that stinks that he had to go back. Like Krista says, I hope it's simply because he was being a kid.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »
I hope so but of course the mind immediately goes to the horrible possibilities of what can be going on. The spread of this thing is typical to the bones and brain. So I imagine there will be lots of tests now to try to get answers.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Braeden came home, went back, UPDATE
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 06:15:48 PM »
 :redface: :redface:

Just got off the phone with Dawn and this is what is going on.

Anyway, I'm so excited because it turns out that Braeden was simply constipated. Evidently sometimes the intestines that have been fiddled with around the surgery area kind of don't click back into their job right away very well. Also, the drugs he is taking could have caused the constipation too. I know that my high blood pressure meds do that. Soooo now she's waiting for him to "poo". I laughed and said, here all this time you were so sick of changing diapers and now you wished he'd fill one. So maybe they can go home tomorrow. One more step in their lives....

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
GREAT news!  We're pulling for The Big "B"!!!!!  Go Braeden!!!!

(And on a lighter note, I just want to remind everyone that "Poo Happens".  LMAO!!!  And in this case... that's a good thing!)

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
Yeah! I remember how painful and difficult that first one was after stomach surgery.  It's so wonderful that it is something so easily fixed.  Go Braeden! {{really, you have to GO}}

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »
well isn't that good news :) and hopefully crappy news real soon!

2 of my Stampin' Up! customers made cards for Braeden so as soon as I finish up the blank cards I will get them all in the mail for him :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »
Yes, GOOOO Braeden. LOL. Waiting for crappy news huh Krista. LOL.

Speaking of cards, I talked to Dawn last night and she said it was funny that all of a sudden Braeden was getting cards from all over the place. Some even had money in them!! So I told her I had mentioned having a card blitz on this forum, another forum, I had called our church, I had called her church, and had asked for cards from an email list I had put together for my dad back when he was in that terrible accident. She said that Braeden gets all excited  when he knows he has a card. She lets him open the envelope and of course being 3 he hasn't figured out how to open them so he mangles it. But it gives him something to do and focus on that is different from his sickness and hospital room.  Thanks everybody.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 07:26:30 AM »
So glad to hear that the cards are giving him some fun excitement, all kids love cards and gifts.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
glad to hear its doing it's job :) Hopefully my package will be out Tuesday. Tell Dawn to open it first to get her stuff out :)

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »
Great News to hear Braeden is doing better. Will keep the family in our prayers. o(:-)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39:00 AM »
Yup, there was crappy news Saturday and he went home late that day. He didn't sleep well Saturday night and Sunday began complaining that it hurt again. They have no idea what's going on with that. I haven't talked to them since Sunday at 10:00. Maybe I'll hear something today.

Thanks for the card everyone. It's such a simple thing to brighten the day of a 3 year old.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 09:38:31 AM »
I hope they find out what's causing poor Braeden to keep having this pain, Esther.  Have you had any more news? 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »
Whoops, forgot to tell you. They (doctors and Kevin and Dawn) think that the intestines just aren't up to par quite yet and may be causing cramps or gas. So Kevin gave him gas drops and Tylenol before putting him to bed Monday night and he only woke up once and Tuesday has let up on the "OW OW, OUCH" stuff. Sunday night he was awake about every hour on the hour. So between that and the new baby, they didn't get much sleep. I think things are better finally.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »
Oh sorry to here that, boy I know gas can hurt.  Hopefuly a routine of the gas drops wil help.  Is he on a soft diet?
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 07:32:05 AM »
I hope Braeden is feeling better today.

Esther, I wonder if the Docs would OK some probiotics to get Braeden's intestines back to normal? Surgery messes them up bad, like having your biofilter crash and the pump break. Don't know if they really work, though... they say it takes two weeks to cycle a biofilter whether you use a product or not.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 07:33:48 AM »
I don't think so. Since the Chemo etc, his tastes have changed and he doesn't like the stuff he used to and now likes things that just don't make sense. For instance, he wanted a piece of salami with his blueberry waffle for breakfast. Before he didn't want mustard on anything and now likes it. Either the Chemo or the radiation changes the taste buds. Evidently sometimes it stays that way and sometimes it reverts back to the original. He isn't hungry much either so whatever he wants, Dawn is happy to give it to him, just to have him eat. They have tried that supplimental drink stuff but he doesn't like it.

Karen, his mom is pretty up on medical stuff but I'll ask her about what you said. They are up to trying most anything at this point. :(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:35:39 AM by Esther »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 08:35:39 AM »
I second Karens motion on probiotics.  :clap:
When I was going thru chemo, they put me on acidophyllus, one tablet before every meal.
Acidophyllus is the healthy bacteria that lives in your digestive tract and keeps it balanced, helps you digest.
I never took myself off it.
It also helps the immune system too, and I haven't been sick since I started chemo, (over 2 years ago now)
except for one little bout of sniffles about a year ago.

This is the type I use, which is chewable and strawberry flavored.

http://www.naturesbounty.com/pages/products.aspx?PPID=30&HCID=7

We buy it in the grocery store, very easy to find just about any where, inexpensive.
Safe, natural, not a chemical or drug.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
Just got home so copied your post Joyce and will forward it to Dawn. Haven't talked to them since Monday. Guess I should call them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"