Author Topic: Bayou Arts Festival (added photos)  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bayou Arts Festival (added photos)
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
Went to the Bayou Art Festival in Downtown Houston today. Saw some things that you guyz might enjoy.
Its topical anyway.

Its polite to take photos of sculptures, but impolite to take photos of photos or original paintings. So I don't have photos of the water lily paintings - of which there were several.

My eyes are full tonight.  @O@
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:44:41 PM by Sunbeam56 »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bayou Arts Festival
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
Looks like there was lots of nice stuff to see, I love the last mermaid.  I like going to the art fairs, but we don't have to many around here.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:28:01 AM »
I talked to a friend of mine on the phone yesterday. I'm always interested in seeing where he is at. He is a photographer and doing the art fair in Houston this weekend. If you get back there, his name is Rich.
Photgraphic Inovations

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:39:36 AM »
There were lots of photographers.
Giclee has overtaken the photography/art world BY STORM.
Photographers can now enter a photo into a computer, tweak it if they like, and have the computer direct an ink jet sprayer to "paint"/reproduce the photograph on a canvas.
It is longer lasting than the old photography methods - doesn't fade or bend like paper - and can be done in any size.
Every booth that I can think of had Giclee copies, and matted smaller copies, of all their works.

I wanted to adopt Ann Sargent - the wife of photographer Bill Sargent. She was SUCH a sweet lady. They were displaying photos of rusting trucks in the woods - amazing the colors that metal will show. One photo was a house with a rusting metal roof, it had about a dozen cats on the roof, and a sign in the yard "Beware of Dog".  lol

Your friend Rich was one of the ones we saw - we saw them all - but didn't make as big an impression - sorry.  :-\

Everyone had a range of subjects.
Lots of hearts of flowers.
Only one guy had celestial events - photographs taken from a star telescope.
One guy had a photo that had me burst out laughing - entitled "the inevitable windmill photo"... good sense of humor.  @O@
Also lots of travels. People took photos of strangers in far lands, China, AFrica, India, Thailand. One guy obviously had a misspent youth - because he had photos from EVERYwhere. Mostly healthy children in ethnic wear. Combined with poetry from wise sources - from Chief Seattle to Einstein, Robert Frost to May Angelou. Lots of poetry. It was very moving.
And pets.
Many landscapes.
Many brightly colored doors.
Lots of photos of Florida, particularly out on the Keys where eccentricity is valued. :)
One photo of an actual bath house - read "$1 for a shower, $2 for a peek".  :o

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:50:21 AM »
The mermaid was adorable.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
Its polite to take photos of sculptures, but impolite to take photos of photos or original paintings.
You raise an interesting point.  We go to a lot of art & crafts festivals and I often wonder if the exhibitors resent people taking photos.  Before taking a photo I always ask if it is okay to do so and I have never been refused.  One lady I asked took a deep breath before answering but then hesitantly said "okay".  I thanked her but I didn't take a photo because I realized she was just being kind and she preferred I didn't take a photo.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline ladybug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »
do you have any idea who the artist was that did the seated mermaid, the last picture?  i have looked up the list of artists, but i don't know there name.  i love that sculpture and would like to see more of their work.
thanks
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
I'm hoping to find a Giclee printer here in Merida.  I have so many large walls and I have some photos that I like enough to have them printed on canvas.  It's something new to learn though, how to prep the file for that kind and size printing. 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:49 PM »
One guy did an interesting thing. He had a lot of landscapes, scenes from faraway cities - stuff like that. He told the computer, don't print anything except black and white and this one color.

So a vase full of roses, all you had was the red in the roses...
It was striking.
A beach scene, all you had was the blue water.

Truthfully, I didn't like it much.  ::) But it does show the versatility of the medium.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Bayou Arts Festival (added photos)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
Have to show you these. Roark thought they were hysterical... so did I.  lol

The etique at art shows is based on whether the work is reproducable. If there is no way you could replicate the art, or the idea, then its okay to take a photo. Because sculpture takes special tools and materials, its fair.
Paintings and especially photos, are easily reproduced from a photo of the art. So don't take those shots.
Occassionally, when I'm REALLY interested and considering purchasing a piece, I will ask if I can take a photo to take home and think about it. But I always ask.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Sunbeam.

I always go to the Spring show in Memorial Park, but never the Fall show.  Parking is a hassle when it's downtown.  Funny excuse, because I live close enough that I could bicycle there.

A friend told me that the downtown fall show has more affordable art than the spring show.  Did you find that to be true?  I always thought it was the same artists at both shows.  Some of those paintings sell for THOUSANDS!

I have one of Bill Sargent's rusty auto photographs hanging in my hallway.  Love it.  I also have a work (bicycle) by the guy who does the retro-looking water colors of toys and comic books from the '50's.  He is really quite a master.  And two photographs I've bought there, both of trees, but neither is by Steve's friend.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:24:39 AM »
Omg is that spider pig? no wait that is superpig........................nice!!!!!!! we have been waiting for a good superheroe, and it is just about time we get one........
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »
Here's the one I have.

http://www.photosarge.com/photo/IT'S%20BEEN%20A%20TRIP%20full.jpg

You can go to his main page to see all of his photos.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"