Author Topic: Do you use Barley Straw? Where to buy?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do you use Barley Straw? Where to buy?
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:28:46 AM »
For many years I had a boxful that I got in trade but didn't really mess with it.  I finally started using it this year & have noticed that my string algae is not as bad.  I am now out & need to find some more.

I'm looking to find a reasonable way to purchase some.  I'm wanting a larger quantity than what is being sold on eBay.  Called my local feed store & they don't have a way to get it because it isn't a local crop.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use Barley Straw? Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:12:37 AM »
 Kat, why not use the extract. Alot less messy and it works as soon as you add it? It's not real cheap but shipping is not much since it is low weight.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »
I tried the extract & it didn't help for me.  Besides, I've got 14 ponds from 300 gallons & up that I need to treat.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »
Hi Kat...  I've used barley straw in my up-flow garbage can filters for the last 2 summers...  I don't know if it was the cause, but this is the first year I had almost zero string algae...(Had just a little in my stream where it gets lots of agitation and I would assume, more oxygenation...)  This is the 5th year I've had the pond so maybe it's all the vegetation maturing but I'm sold on keeping the barley bundles in those filters...  Previous years I had it much worse...

I had the luxury of working in Montana the last couple summers and just scooped up the straw from the fields around Choteau after they had harvested it...  They probably thought I was loco!!!!

Have you Googled it?   

Dave

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
Kat, I've used it over a couple of years and am not convinced of it's effectiveness. I'm not saying it doesn't work, just not sure what causes the SA to come on and why it doesn't when it doesn't. Sorry, I'm no help.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
We have used it every year, this year I ran short and was using the liquid.  I take a pair of panty hose and stuff as much straw as I can and then in the koi pond I put it in the biofalls and in the  lily pond just on the bottom of the pond.  We have always just gotten it from DH's brother who is a farmer and plants a small field for mixing, and he gives us a few garbage bags.  Kat, maybe you could contact some area farmers,try a feed store or check people offering covering hay for a farm source or even a golf course, quite a few of the ones around here use barley in their ponds and they may know of a source.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
I am glad Marla was able to offer some advice. I however love the idea of adding it too my filter system. After I found this sight I tried and did many things offered up here. One of these was barely straw. If you buy it from a pond store you could go broke quick if you buy it based on pond volume. My pond had me buying 60 bucks worth. I don't think any kind of straw is worth 60 bucks unless its the short straw on a big payout draw.

Forgive my ignorance. Is Barley straw only available in certain areas? Do I need to contact Budweiser to add some to my filters? If they actually know who buys their product I might have an in!!!  I will check with budweiser and get back to you I might be able to supply everyone.

wait is barely the same as barely straw? If so can I just pour a beer in my pond once a week?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:32:31 PM by reddad35 »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"