Author Topic: Gardeners! Make money at home! It's fun and easy! kidding here, but read on!  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
I stumbled accross this site and I love what this guy does, even if it's just a scam.
I think you will get a big kick out of looking his site over.
Mind you I am not advocating this, but it just may give you some fun ideas that you may persue on your own.
http://www.freeplants.com/backyard.htm

Please don't send him a check without lots of research
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I've seen that before, but I don't really believe it.  I would never send him $297 for information.  He use to only have a web site that offered information but now he is trying to make money off of people that go to his site.  Granted a person can make money off of selling plants but I'm still not completly sold on him making that much in that small a space.  I want to buy a big greenhouse so I can start a greenhouse business but I have a hard time believing that I can grow thousands of cuttings in a small sandbox.  But he does give you lots of useful information on his site.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
My feeling exactly Monica, but the guy sure is a talented promoter.  As you said, there are some good tips!

I would think this post will be a big thread.  I am usually wrong.
Certainly it is controversial.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
What he doesn't tell you is that his backyard is 40 acres..... ;) :D

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
I don't need to buy anything from him. I gave away some 1-gallon nursery pots on my local FreeCycle. The guy that I gave them to gave me some vital info about selling plants from my house that is totally legal. That's including having an inspecter look them over.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
What he doesn't tell you is that his backyard is 40 acres..... ;) :D

On one page he says that he lot is only 1/2 an acre and his nursery is 1/20th of an acre, but then he also says on another page something about growing rhodedanrons on someone elses land.  What I don't understand is how he says he can get 5,000 cutting a day with what he has in his yard  ::)
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
As I staed in the post, i know this is fishy as can be.  He is however one clever guy and ome tips are good.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
I came across this a few years ago and dimissed it just like you Jerry. I have looked around but have never found good concise plans for the intermittent misting system he describes. That is the biggest key to rooting cuttings quickly. high humidity and never letting the cuttings get dry or soggy. As to the thousands of cuttings....Hmmm. his neighbors sure must get ticked off because you would need hundreds of adult plants to generate thousands of cuttings without killing the root stock. He must be poaching cuttings from other locales.
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
WOW what an absolute scam! I can tell you he makes more money from the scam than from any plants he sells.
None of the box stores would touch him as a wholesaler, they are all tied into a specific supplier market which is on a scale a lot more vast then he could ever be. Independent nurseries couldn't afford him. To make the bucks he is claiming he'd have to be moving a volume of plants that would be impossible for a one man operation.

The truth about the nursery business is that it costs a lot more than 25 cents to propagate a plant from a seed, cutting or offset up to a salable size for ANY market. And you have to be licensed and inspected. And the nurseries always want plants "showing color" (ie blooming) whenever possible.

I have no doubt he sells some plants to somoene, probably someone local in his area, but his claims seem preposterous to me. The only way to make money as a wholesaler in the nursery market today is to go the tissue culture route...but TC cell plugs from a megaproducer like Agristarts for 50 cents to $2 each, grow on and resell.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Here are some very key points in his earnings disclaimer:

Earning and Income statements made by our company and its customers are estimates of what we think you can possibly earn.

As with any business, your results may vary, and will be based on your individual capacity, business experience, expertise, and level of desire. There are no guarantees concerning the level of success you may experience.

And, of course:

The testimonials and examples used are exceptional results, which do not apply to the average purchaser

And most importantly:

and you agree that our company is not liable for any success or failure of your business

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"