Author Topic: Little Saigon  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Little Saigon
« on: November 13, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
I enjoy iced Vietnamese coffee and a friend told me how to make it and where in Little Saigon to buy the Vietnamese coffee press for making it.  This little device is similar to a French press coffee maker.  I could have used our French press but I wanted to make the coffee drink the "official" way.....  Little Saigon, located in Westminster/Garden Grove is a fascinating place to visit.  The fetching Mrs. Mikey was having her hair colored in the general area and we agreed to meet in Little Saigon to shop and have lunch.  The supermarket we went in to was amazing.  I thought I knew my fish but I've never seen anything like what they had.  They probably had 60 or more different kinds of fish.  If I ever need snails for my pond I know where to get them.....  ::)  I passed on the snails and skates but I did bring home some lobster balls.....

The fetching one hates the smell of fish thus she was over in the fruit and produce area checking things out.  They not only had every type of produce/fruit you find in a "regular" supermarket but they had a vast amount of fruit and veggies that we had never seen.  We were constantly saying, "I wonder how they prepare this?"  My friend warned me to take along a pen and pad to write down the names of stuff so I could research how to cook it......

I found my little Vietnamese coffee press and I will be trying it out tomorrow.  Next time we visit that store I will drag my friend along so that he can tell us about the unfamiliar produce and how it is prepared.

We ate our lunch in an outside eating area.  While sitting there I saw a fat Caucasian lady walk by and I commented to the fetching one that I had not seen a single fat Vietnamese person all day....  Hmmm, I may have to change my eating habits.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Little Saigon
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »
but I did bring home some lobster balls.....

Who knew they had so many......nah!  Not going there!  lol

Always cool to try new things out.  I rarely go to Little Saigon, distance, but when I do it's to shop for groceries (price, quality, and variety) and have dim sum  O0  You should try out some of their local cuisine.  I like the places that have picture menus and long lines of customers. 

Also they're not too far from Eastern Nishigoshi (sp)  ::) {:-P;;

Glad you and the fetching Mrs. Mikey enjoyed your experience.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
I'm jealous. It sounds like a fun day and a fun place to visit.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »
Annette: I thought dim sum was strictly Chinese.  I like dim sum but I also like to know what's in it.....  I don't like surprises...... :o

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »
We have two large China Towns in Houston, plus a Middle Eastern section and an Indian strip, and the grocery stores are, like you said, quite a trip to exotic lands.  Prices are low, and if you're willing to be adventerous, you can try some unusual foods.

I LOVE Vietnamese coffee - strong, sweet, and yummy.  I like it over ice.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
Little Saigon also caters to those with Chinese cuisine tastes.  Also there are many Vietnamese Chinese; therefore the influence.

Come on!  Dimsum?  Tame, baby!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
Also there are many Vietnamese Chinese
I should have known that.  I know someone who came here in '75' after the fall of Saigon.  He was Chinese/Vietnamese....... I've only had dim sum once while in S.F. and we didn't know what we were eating because the waitress didn't speak English and my Chinese wasn't any better... :D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
Most dim sum's are made with ground pork and or shrimp with a variety of green leafy veges or onions, and wrapped in flour "skin".  Best thing to do if there are rolling steam carts of dimsum is to ask to "see?"  The server should be able to lift the lids of most of the dishes for you to check out and choose.  And best of all it's not too expensive unless you chose too many unwanted dishes. :D

Give it a try.......yum, where's dinner?   

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"