Author Topic: Half-barrel diminishing  (Read 1262 times)

Offline reptilegrrl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Half-barrel diminishing
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
I started two half-barrels in the spring as an addition to the regular pond.  They were both doing great until recently.  A few months ago one started having problems.  Many of the plants died or were shrinking.  I thought maybe it was the cooling weather but we've had a warm couple of weeks now with no recovery (when I say "cooling", I mean nights in the 50s with a few in the upper 30s/lower 40s.)

Today I got in there and cleaned it out to have a look at things.  I found a lot of mosquito fish, all doing fine, and many snails, most of them dead.  I also found lots of weird-looking insects buried in the smutz at the bottom of the half-barrel.  Alive and gross-looking.  There was lots of dead string algae floating.

I cleaned out the smutz, tested the water, and all levels were in the "acceptable" or "ideal" range.  I don't know what the problem might be!  I went ahead and moved most of the fish to the big pond just in case it was overstocked.  But like I said, they were mosquito fish, mostly juveniles.  I also added more plants to replace the dead ones.  In the pond are cattails, pickerell plant, water hyacinth and water lettuce.  It formerly had anacharis but all that was dead, so I added a little more. 

Any thoughts about this?
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Half-barrel diminishing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
So, what kind of plants did you have in the barrel/s that died?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »
Were the wierd buglike things in the muck dragonfly nymphs? They look like some science fiction thing only in miniature. By the way, if they decide to bite you they can give you an awful experience.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:41:24 PM »
sounds like to me that your plants were just going dormant...either due to cooler weather or lack of nutrients...either one---they will be back next spring...ours usually start looking pretty bad around August or September...but, come next April they all return.....I agree with Esther--sounds like dragon fly larvae...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline reptilegrrl

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »
Esther- some of the bugs were dragonfly nymphs, but some were these weird things that looked like prehistoric spiders.  I didn't know nymphs could bite, good thing I didn't poke any :)

PondmaninFL- the things that died were anacharis, water lettuce, water hyacinth, and cattails.  The pickerell plant seemed on its way downhill.  I added more plants in place of everything.

Tranquility- I hope you are right!  The other ponds all look good, though. 

Thanks for responding, y'all!
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
I have similar issues... lettuce, hyacinth, and others wont' grow in my pond, but will do great in unfiltered tiny tub gardens.  I think they like the crowding and build-up of gunk.

I've had duckweed growing like crazy in  5 gal bucket just sitting in the yard.  All of a sudden, it started dieing, and I can't get it to come back.  I have plenty of duckweed in other tubs, and even in the pond, but can't get it to grow in this same bucket, in the same spot, anymore.

I'd sure be interested in what others have to say about this topic.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
Lawanna is right. If the weather has been cooler, then they are going dormant. If it hasn't been cooler, then I would say that they need some food.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
Hey Reptile Girl, This is turtle mike.   I believe that I have the answer to your problem.  Go to the thread on,  "will snails harm my baby waterlilies" and look for my tutorial on "melt".   That should solve it.       Turtle mike.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"