Author Topic: Pond frozen over already . . .  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond frozen over already . . .
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »
My pond has been frozen over for days - weeks early for my area. 

My lava rock trickle tower keeps an opening in the ice, though.

It's going to be a long winter . . . :'( &-) :swear: :blowup: 
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond frozen over already . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »
Here also. I mananged to get a de-icer in one pond . DH had to drill out the  2 small ones . All set now tho. Can see fishies under the " glass ceiling".

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:41:38 PM »
Yah, I think it is early here too. I haven't really watched the weather to know for sure. Usually we don't take the pump out 'til later but did it last week. I told DH it was silly to pay the electric bill for the pump if it wasn't necessary.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »
What does an ice covered pond look like? lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »
It has snowed once in October and a few times already in November here - way early for us.  It always snows in March here, so we will have at least a 5-month winter.  Once it gets cold here in southcentral PA for the winter, it stays cold until early April.

Been spoiled the last two winters - pretty mild, little snow.  Last year we had 8" of snow total the entire winter.  The previous winter it was 70 degrees in January.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
What does an ice covered pond look like? lol lol

HA, HA.....laugh someday you'll get yours {nono}
Our pond is also frozen over, the lily pond more so (3") as it runs a smaller pump.  We closed up yesterday, I had to use an ice auger and boiling water to get the water open where I like to put the small bubbler pump in the lily pond.  The main pond runs a 7500 pump and so the ice was thinner in the area by the skimmer where I place the small pump, but at the sides away from the falls I could stand on the ice to trim the cattails.  Glad it's done.

My pond has been frozen over for days - weeks early for my area. 

My lava rock trickle tower keeps an opening in the ice, though.

It's going to be a long winter . . . :'( &-) :swear: :blowup: 

If you have a trickle tower made of a clay strawberry pot be careful as the clay can crack and chip when it freezes.  I remove mine every year, one year I waited a bit to long and some of the openings chipped but I like it as it has gotten a nice pattena over the years.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
No ice on my ponds yet.....YEAH ! Been raining all day tho & supose to change to snow on Tuesday.
I'd rather have snow than ice ..... ;D

bonnie

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »
Same here Dave, only my fish are inside nice and cozy at 62* (at least it's cozy for them) I can't believe how early it has gotten so cold this year. We have been spoiled. Hopefully it will be an early spring.  o(

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
marla,

My trickle tower is made up of plastic saucers (the kind that go under pots) so there is no chance of cracking.  The trickle tower keeps an opening in the ice as long as the temps remain above 19-20 degrees.  Below that I have to plug in the stock tank heater.

Fortunately it only gets that cold for about a week only each winter.
Reedman

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »
marla,

My trickle tower is made up of plastic saucers (the kind that go under pots) so there is no chance of cracking.  The trickle tower keeps an opening in the ice as long as the temps remain above 19-20 degrees.  Below that I have to plug in the stock tank heater.

Fortunately it only gets that cold for about a week only each winter.

Then you are lucky, gee 19-20* is pretty normal around here in the winter, sometimes that would be considered downright balmy ;)
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 06:37:09 AM »
Winter (DEC-FEB) temps here are 20-40.  It gets cold and stays cold here, not like a few states lower where it could be 30 in the morning and 65 in the afternoon.

Reedman

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
Frozen here too. i have a big aerator going this year. Seems to be working pretty well so far. It's going to be a LOOOOOOONG winter. :(
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"