Author Topic: Pond Cover for Fall Leaves  (Read 1400 times)

Offline agent511

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond Cover for Fall Leaves
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »
My wife wanted to show you what I constructed to keep the leaves out of the pond.  The pictures are a little dark, but you should get the idea.  I stole the idea myself from a garden center in NJ.

The pond is about 8' by 12'.  The cover is constructed from grey plastic 1/2" electrical conduit sold at any home center like Lowes or the BORG for about $2 each.  I needed 6.  The conduit is nested together to make the needed lengths, and cut to size.  It is simply slipped over small pieces of rebar that are hammered into the ground.  I think I used 2' long rebar, x6, at also less than $2 each.  Then you stretch the netting over the top, and I used cable ties to tie the netting to the conduit, and also to tie the pieces of conduit together where they cross.  Then I used landscaping ground stakes to tie the netting to the bround (so the birds don't climb underneath and get trapped).  Keeps 100% of the leaves out.  Air flowing through the netting does a pretty good job of keeping the  leaves from staying on the netting. It was a little tricky stretching the net under the Japenese lace-leaf maple tree that covers 1/4 of the pond.

This is the second year I have used the same set-up. I keep it under the deck during the rest of the year. It has saved my wife huge amounts of time daily removing leaves from the pond. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:19:49 AM by agent511 »

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Cover for Fall Leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
Agent,

Cool idea 8) I really don't want to cover my ponds with a net, but for the leaf falling season, I might just do that next year,
Thanks for the idea.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline agent511

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
We don't put the net up until the leaves are falling in October, and will take the net down around Thanksgiving.  It is purely functional, and that it does extremely well.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
What a neat idea !  O0

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing your great idea Agent!  Exactly what I need for low$$ frame.  Now I have to do it  ;)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
We made a similar frame this year. It's a thicker PVC pipe and we used elbows and t'S  because the pond was too big to bend the pipes like that. It's working great, will also be easy to store and reuse.
Kathy

Offline agent511

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »
That should also work well. 

I found this may be easier since they come in 8' lengths that are self-connecting, so you can increase the length as long as you need.  No need for any connectors or glue.  They are flexible, so you don't need to have an exact size - it is very forgiving.  Any size arc is fine. Since I use a cross-bar, it is very stable, but I expect that it would be fine even without the cross-bar. 

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:34 PM »
looks nice and very functional, looks as if you would end up with lots of leaves in the pond without the net.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline MaggieMoo

• Members
  • With us since: 12/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:43:33 AM »
 O0  Great Idea!

I have some one inch pvc stacked on the side of the house waiting to be used for a sprinkler system.  I can put it to good use this fall to catch the leaves and pine needles......then it can still be used for the sprinkler system when the dear hubby decides to put it in.

Thanks for sharing!

Maggie
Maggie

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 04:10:10 AM »
Great way to keep the leaves out  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline grkehler

• Members
  • With us since: 26/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:43 AM »
Great idea.  This is the first year for my pond.  After this fall,  I DEFINITELY need something to keep the leaves from my pond.  Where did you get your net?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"