Author Topic: A reminder.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A reminder.
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
The days are getting longer.                                             Run of the mill color wise but it blooms like crazy and makes seed.       Mike.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:13:35 PM by turtlemike »

Offline Kirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A reminder.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »
Mike,
Very nice. Lots of flowers. I have about a dozen lillies but only have a blossom now and then.  Also my leaves are much smaller than the year I purchase them.  I know I'm not fertilizing them as I should.  How often and with what do you fertilize them?   Here in Michigan I only get about 4 months of growing time before them start dying back.

Kirby

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Hi kirby.        My plants are mostly grown in fairly low nutrient hard clay pond bottom.  By hard I mean that there  isn't a thick layer of slime that you sink into when you walk on the bottom and I never sink in farther than my ankles.            I'm not saying that waterlilies like hard packed low nutrient clay I'm just pointing out that lack of good soil, as long as the leaves are nice and green and not yellowish is probably not your problem.  Two things that I know that will cause lack of flowers are over crowding and lack of light.    I guess that your problem is overcrowding because that will cause small leaves more than shade will.        The answer is more room per crown and as much direct sunlight as possible.               Assuming that you have lots of sun and don't have too many crowns  in each pot the next best thing I can think to do is to plant your crowns in much bigger especially wider pots, and I mean BIG pots, WITH holes in the bottom.  If you have fish that like to dig at the holes then stack a few rocks around the pots.  The roots will grow through the holes and the plants will think they have even more room.      Loose soil is just fine as long as it's heavy soil,  low fertility is best.     your plants should be causing a lowering of your waters fertility,not an increase.       If light is a large part of the problem and you just cant get more then the variety you have becomes more important.   some varieties do much better than others in low light conditions, I hear, since don't have any low light ponds I cant help much with that without getting a book out.    Your growing season is probably not a problem ,and if it is ,choosing the right variety is the answer. And again someone else could probably help you more than me.       Just ask and I figure a bunch of people from up north will suggest there favorites.     I fertilize only when my leaves start to lose there nice green color.     2 or three lily tabs per crown .    Mike.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:42:19 AM »
Is that colorata? Very nice.

I have a fool pink that will bloom all winter long. The blooms just get smaller. :)
The flare goes back to the mud.
The Rhonda Kay is going too.
But the fool pink doesn't acknowledge things like freezing...  o(:-)

Offline Kirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:17:52 AM »
Thanks Mike,
It sounds like overcrowding is my main problem.  I am using the square plastic baskets designed for pond plants, but I put 2 fairly large tubers in each on.  As soon as the ice is gone and the water warms up some,  I will replant putting just one plant per basket and I'll get some new soil for the baskets.  The pond gets between 6 & 8 hours of direct sun daily which I think is fine. 
Thanks for your advice.
Kirby

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »
Hi Sunbeam 56. No that's not Colorado it's the same plant as above it's just darker in the spring.        It's one of my seedlings from 04.    It's got kind of a run of the mill color.   pastell pink that lightens in summer. But it makes seed and flowers like crazy.       It's kind of vigorous and is starting to crowd itself so the top picture doesn't show it's full flowering potential.   This plant when uncrowded  has the highest flower to leaf ratio of any other plant that I have that has been fully tested so far.      I wish I had a picture of it from 2 or 3 years ago before it got crowded. when viewed from the side across the pond it looks like a solid mass of large pink flowers all touching each other covering half of the leaf spread.   Starts flowering early ,stays late and goes non stop all summer.  I made seed with it this summer so we will see how that goes.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"