Author Topic: Chain letters? Advice from Snopes  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Chain letters? Advice from Snopes
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »
Yep, ignorance is bliss...?

I'd rather be alive than 'ignorantly' dead.  ;)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
I'm going to respectfully ask that if you don't like other people telling you what their religion is, that you don't spend your time here bashing them for their beliefs.

It's one thing to assume someone is attacking you simply because they say "Merry Christmas" as a general statement, but something else entirely to insult those who do believe in God by claiming that they are ignorant.

To each his own.  Don't we have enough in the world to worry about without bashing others who are here to share their love of ponding?

I suggest this topic be closed and we all move on and be grateful that we have something to talk about and share.

ENOUGH.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
We are talking about foods, Blind 'Too, not religion.  8)

(really, read what we were saying....I was talking about FOOD and people being ignorant about THAT)

Chill.  O0

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
IE: Religion is often used as a camouflage for evil souls no matter how hard they beat on the bible or wave a cross it your face
I have "chilled" Joyce.  the topic is not only about food, and you know that.  You've said enough, how about you chill for once?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:25:40 PM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
I have nothing to chill about.  :)
You misunderstood what Karen and I were talking about and took it ALL wrong.
We were talking about FOOD.

Just because you think I've said enough doesn't give you the right to tell me ENOUGH. That's rude and self centered.
It was YOUR misunderstanding, not mine. So I'm not the one who has the problem.
Suck it up and say sorry that you misunderstood what we were talking about.
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=7640.0
After all, I used an emoticon  for Karen cuz I didn't understand (misunderstood) what she meant about the Food Pyramid comment.
Then she explained. Then I replied that people are ignorant...about THE FOOD PYRAMID!!!!!
Go look at the other topic where Karen and I were talking about food and then maybe you'll understand that we were going back and forth between 2 topics on how people don't wanna learn about foods.
Enough is ENOUGH being hypersensitive to anything that comes out of a Pagans mouth.  ::)
You guys are all so ready to burn me at the stake....  :o It's 2008 right, not 1608?  ?)(?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:31:42 PM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »
 Why ----------------------???? Had a big long thing composed and realized it was a waste of time and effort.

Food, HMMM, that's another thing. Isn't it unusual how we all have different tastes when it comes to food too. We were discussing this a while back and decided that texture can be a big problem to some folks not just taste. I wonder how much influence parents have on their kids and what they'll eat.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
I believe parents have a 99.9999% influence on their kids taste.
It's starts from the moment they start eating solid foods.
Children have to be trained not to like veggies and healthy food.
Jamie was given fresh veggies from the get-go, even planted a veggie garden that she helped take care of as a child.
She prefers raw veggies over any other kind, to this day.   8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »
I believe parents have a 99.9999% influence on their kids taste.
Amen!  When the kids were little I made wieners and sauerkraut one time.  Before they ever tasted it my fetching wife said in their presence, "Oh how disgusting!  Rotten cabbage for dinner."  The kids wouldn't try it.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
My mother grossly over cooked most veggies and I thought they were nasty until I ate them nicely steamed or sauteed as an adult. She loved them that way though. YUCK. The only veggie I learned to love from her was frozen spinach. Everything else was boiled until it was mush.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »
I have a huge issue with kids and food. They are trained at school that they need to eat whole "grains", pasta, breads, waffles, pancakes, and tortillas, all with syrup and other sugar carbage. Compliments of the Food Pyramid. Then, the school proceeds to pass out anything but whole foods, it's all processed garbage. The irony is awful- it's the health of our children that is important- not the health of big corn, big soy, and big wheat. If they get a veggie at all, it is overcooked green beans from a can. What kid wants to eat overcooked green beans from a can? Would it be so hard to pour some salad out of a bag? It kills me when I'm trying to feed them real, whole foods. Grill a steak, add a salad- that's real food. Now they are rebelling against me for trying to feed them whole, real food. Because the school says so.  ::)

Ever try and fish out a "whole" grain from a Cheerio?   o(  Yet, Kellogg's gets to enjoy a "heart healthy" (paid for) stamp from the AHA. Arrgh. Whole grains are indigestible! Why bother?

Sorry about the rant.  :hug:
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 06:14:42 AM »
Karen, what bugs me the worst, is the vending machines in school, in the cafeteria, and right outside the gym and weight rooms...ALL GARBAGE: SUGARS AND STARCHES.
And guess who owns the vending machines? Student Council, to raise money for trips, etc.  ::)

Give me a hunk of meat, charred on the outside, raw on the inside, and a salad with sugar free dressing, and I am happy.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »
I'm not sure that all children can be influenced into liking ALL vegetables but I also see that parents have "some" influence, hopefully a great deal. For instance, ME, I absolutely hate canned lima beans and peas and of course was forced to eat anything that mother put on the table. Being farmers, we always had a huge garden and plenty of farm grown meats of all kinds. To this day I still hate canned lima beans, and peas. I do like fresh and frozen lima beans but not crazy about the peas in any style but I will eat them if at someone else's house. My son for instance still avoids green vegetables to some extent even though I raised him to eat everything like my mom raised me. Now, we come to my son's kids. From day one, mommy worried about letting the kids choose everything. They chose the PJs she bought, the bedding for the crib, and on and on. Now, they are 14 and 7 and terribly picky and honestly don't like a lot of foods. They try when they are around me without their mom but just can't stomach many things. And I feel sorry for them because they are missing a lot of good stuff.

My DH was raised the same way I was and hates beets but likes most anything I put on the table. Thanks goodness because I don't think I could be married to a picky eater.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »
I had the kind of parents that made us take some of everything that was served, and then sit there until you finished it, whether you liked it or not.  In fact, the concept of liking or disliking something never entered our minds.  If it was food, you simply ate it.  All of it.

Consequently, I like just about everything.  Except hominy, and I'd say that's understandable.   :D

On the other hand, I have immense problems with portion control, and with throwing away food.  I simply don't know what is a reasonable amount to eat, and I feel compelled to finish everything, because my mind won't let me throw anything away.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2008, 12:53:13 PM »
I love beets and just discovered pickled beets   wow.   o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »
Don't mind nice young buttered beets and love pickled most anything, just not people. LOL

Julles, I have the same problem. Clean up your plate. With my kids though I made them either take "some" of what was being served or then I would put it on their plate and would give them more than they would take. So they learned real quick to take at least a tablespoon full.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »
I love pickled beets and pickled okra...always wondered how they were able to pickle okra and it not be slimy.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
I love every vegetable made. My mother never made me eat everything I simply did it. My motabolisim was such I could eat all day and never gain any weight. It is still in that area except only the 40 year old version. I really think the only things I do not like is liver and escargo. I have tried both of them twice. Wait, I don't like heart, lungs, tounges, brains, kidneys, gizzards or neck bones and I have not even tried any of those. I feel since I don't raise my meat for food I can select not to purchase any of those and I am not wasting a thing since I do eat hotdogs.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
I love beets, pickled and plain. I detest lima beans because they were served from a can by my mother and at the school cafeteria and they were terrible. Not a huge pea fan but do like thawed frozen ones in salads.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2008, 08:34:58 AM »
I think people are better off not eating organ meats.  Or, as our local newspaper restaurant review likes to term them, "offal."

After all, their job is to filter out and contain contaminates traveling through our bloodstream and body.  So if your body goes to all the work of removing toxins and storing them in the liver or kidney, why would you want to go eat the storage locker full of icky stuff?

Lima beans are one of my favorite vegetables.  Really more of a starch than a regular veggie, but tasty just the same.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
Anyone who feeds their kids canned vegetables is programming their kids not to like veggies,
cuz canned veggies are DISGUSTING!!!  :P

My mom always bought fresh, or fresh frozen.  8)
All summer she would pick and fresh freeze veggies from out little 1/4 acre veggie garden.
So all winter we would have our own fresh veggies.

I once had canned peas at a friends house, got a mouthful, and absolutely could not swallow.
Got all sweaty and gagged on them.  :(
Made a scene running to the bathroom to spit them out. :o
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:41:10 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »
"Made a scene running to the bathroom to spit them out."

Hee hee hee.

My mother only served canned vegetables.  We didn't know there was anything else.

But food at my grandmother's house tasted so much better.  One day I discovered that she used frozen vegetables.  My, what a difference!

When I got my first apartment, for months I bought the canned goods I had grown up on.  One day it dawned on me - You're an adult, you are spending your own money, buy what you like! 

From then on, all that's in my house is fresh or frozen vegetables.  (Except canned salt-free tomatoes, for cooking, and the occasional pickled beets.).

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »
When I was a kid we were homeless for a while and I remember picking dandelion leaves growing alongside the Los Angeles River.  Our mother boiled them and that was our meal.  To this day I love spinach and chard. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
Yup Mikey, my mom picked dandelion greens too out of the yard.

The canned stuff was before we had a freezer. It was the only way 60 years ago to preserve most of our food for winter.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2008, 06:32:30 PM »
My husband, loves canned asparagus. I think it smells so foul there is no way I'd try to eat it. He eats an entire can.

He likes fresh too, which I love but he really loves the canned. YUCK.

I eat canned green beans when they are cooked with bacon and chicken broth, I also eat canned beets and canned creamed corn which I like to pour over a baked potato.

That is it for me and canned veggies. We eat a lot of frozen spinach and corn and a lot of fresh produce too. There are lots of farmer's markets/stands here.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
I love fresh or canned veggies. I act like they are 2 different beasts. I love everything veggie and if its canned its just a little less love.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
I agree Dad  love beans canned.  I can make it a meal.  Definitely comfort food.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2008, 05:56:26 AM »
Pete loves it when I fry up some bacon, onions and cooked or canned green beans. Usually I fry the onions almost done, add bottled bacon pieces and then the beans and fry them all together. Bacon bits would work I suppose but they make me burp and I don't buy them any more.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"