Author Topic: Wedding Gift Ettiquete - How It Worked Out  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wedding Gift Ettiquete - How It Worked Out
« on: December 12, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »

I'm going to a wedding reception Saturday at 10:am.

You're supposed to send the gift to the person's home at some point prior to the reception.

But yet, here I sit looking at the gift I never got around to sending.  This is a pretty ritzy family, and they know all the Emily Post rules, that's for sure.

So now I'm stuck either:

1.  Bringing it to the reception, which many people will surely do, even though it's technically "improper."

2.  Send it to their home, even though they would get it a few days after the wedding.

What should I do?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:18:10 AM by Julles »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Gift Ettiquete Question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »

People leaving gifts at reception place risk having the gift misplaced or stolen.  Plus moving gifts from reception to home is a lot of work.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:34:04 AM »
Is the distance such that you can't drop it off today?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »
Golly, I guess I don't run with the "ritzy" people, I've never heard of sending the gift to the home. :-\

Around here, everyone just takes it to the reception.

I'm with Mikey, surely if you have been invited to the wedding, you know the couple well enough to be comfortable with dropping it off at the house.  Seems like such a waste of $$ to mail it.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
Bring it with you.  8)
I think they have a lot of nerve asking for people to have it sent to the house.  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
Golly, I guess I don't run with the "ritzy" people, I've never heard of sending the gift to the home.

LOL! Me either!

I've always seen gifts brought to the receptions.

But...... speaking from my own personal experience when we got married, it probably would have been much easier if we had the presents dropped off at the house.
We had a big wedding because my dad was a big wig in a local company, lots of friends, business aquaintenances, etc. We got bombarded with gifts at the reception.
It took two van loads to get them home and I think it took DH and I about two weeks of opening gifts in the evenings to get it all done.
So, I can see the point of requesting the gifts to be sent to the home prior to the reception, but I think usually most people have a gift table at the reception.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »
Call me snooty but I AM a ritzy person.....  Got a box of Ritz in the cupboard right now in fact...... ;D
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Gift Etiquette Question
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:17:41 AM »
In this day and age, I'm surprised we worry about etiquette. Everything in the way of right and wrong  we have known and done for many years seems to be going by the wayside.

I have never been to a wedding reception where there was not a space appropriated for the gifts and usually there is a box or basket in which to put the envelopes that hopefully hold money. The gifts have always been brought to the reception by the guests in any wedding I have been involved in around here. But then the people I run with are far from ritzy. 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »
The reception is at 10am, what time are they getting married?  Are they getting the cart before the horse?  Reception before the wedding???

Here is my answer, #1

Take it with you,
and if they don't like it,
take it back with you to your house...lol 

To me that's having your cake and eating it too. 

We want the gift, BUT
We don't want to be inconvienced by having to move them to our home. 
I want you to go out of your way and deliever it to our house.  Tisk, Tisk

:D  They sound to uppity for me...

Kim
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:47:34 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
OK, here is my take on this operation: Keep the gift, you probabaly wanted one anyways. Big balls to ask you to send the gift to the house. Maybe you weren't even planning on getting one, who knows?

Go to the reception, eat their food, drink their booze, say, Oh how sweet that you to love birds tied the knot, and go home.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 05:17:32 AM »
Here's what ended up happening....

Like Ky Kim suggested, I realized I could take the gift along in my purse (small photo album with a gift certificate in the first photo sleeve).  That way, I could leave it if appropriate, and could take it back home if need be.

What happened is as soon as I walked in, I was greeted and welcomed and told how to find a seat and a mimosa, and then, even though the gift wasn't visible, the woman said that if I had brought a gift along, there was a table where they could be placed.  Voilà!  Problem solved!

The got married at 9:30 in a family-only ceremony in their home, which was originally the home of the woman's grandparents.  I have no idea why the early hour, but I was happy about that, because, like so many people, I had a ton of other things to do that day.

Interesting side note:  I didn't know anyone other than the woman who got married, so just found a table, introduced myself, and sat down and started making conversation.  About 20 minutes later, come walking right past me was a woman I know pretty darned well, a friend of a friend, and we socialize pretty frequently.  Turns out her daughter grew up with the bride, and they are really good friends.  So she sat down at our table.  Then, turns out, another lady sitting at our table was friends with my friend, because their husbands (both now deceased) used to work together.

Small, small world!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Gift Ettiquete - How It Worked Out
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »
See even the ritzy manage to be sensible at times.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 08:54:12 AM »
 If you want to recycle your stuff at your house just hold a yardsale. sell everything you think you might want replaced. With this money rent out a hall and announce you and yours are going to re-tie the knot. All the women saay ahh thats sweet and all the men love the reception. You get all new stuff and can still not have sex that night. Just now you have new stuff.

now thats wedding gift Ettiquete.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »
I meant if they didn't like you bringing the gift to the wedding, to take it back home to keep for yourself... ;)

Glad to hear it went well for you.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"