Author Topic: Name that water lily!  (Read 2404 times)

Offline AUTiger83

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Name that water lily!
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:42:20 PM »
Attached are a few photos of the large pond (small lake??) next to my vacation house in the panhandle of Florida. 

What variety of water lily do you think this is?

New to ponds, so assume I know NOTHING.

The history of the pond:  Natural pond on a small island next to the Blackwater River (less than 40 yards away from this pond).  The lake house was the first house built on the island, in 1988.  There are numerous other bodies of water within a stone's throw (e.g., other ponds, a slough, and the Blackwater River).  None of these other bodies of water have any water lilies, so I'm speculating that the lilies in this pond were introduced, rather than being native.

Yes, the water is black, hence the name by native Americans of the adjacent river as the Blackwater River.  Actually, the water is simply tannic (tea-colored), so more than a couple of feet of it creates a very black look.  Although it is tannic, it is very unpolluted.  I think I read on some website that the Blackwater River is the 3rd least polluted river in the U.S.

The Blackwater River empties into Pensacola Bay, just 10 miles away.  So the pond level is slightly affected by the tides (about a 6" rise and fall).  But the pond water (and river) are freshwater, being too far upstream to be salty or brackish.

2nd question:  Since the pond is full of ENORMOUS turtles, I assume my chances of ever having koi there are zilch, right?

Thanks in advance for your insight and sharing your knowledge!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:02:38 PM by AUTiger83 »

Offline AUTiger83

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Name that water lily!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »
A wider shot . . .
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:03:14 PM by AUTiger83 »

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
Beautiful pics of the white lilies.  I don't know what they are, but thanks for sharing them with us.  It looks like such a peaceful place.  We had a visit from a snapping turtle last summer and lost our two big butterfly koi.

:welcome: to the forum.

Karen

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:57:16 AM »
I would test it with some goldfish.  Not sure about the lily. 

I wish I had something like that in my backyard.  So peaceful.  Those pads are huge.
Alfonso

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
What time were these pictures taken?
Based on the pads, petal shape and texture, and the very thick stamen it looks like a white night bloomer.
No guarantee though.
If they open in the evening and close by mid to late afternoon then they are night bloomers.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline AUTiger83

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
Well . . . I'm not sure what time they open.  I think it's early morning.  But they definitely close up when the day gets hot (noon to 1 PM). 

I'm headed down to the lake house for the 4th of July holiday.  I'll pay more attention to when they open and close.  I'll report back to you . . .

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:55:10 AM »
Wow!!   :o  Beautiful!
Joey

Offline AUTiger83

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:45:18 AM »
Definitely a day bloomer.  They open in the morning after sunrise and close when it gets hot (around 1:00 PM).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:01:38 AM by AUTiger83 »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »
That is beautiful.  You have a ponders dream there. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline mcp

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »
Don't have a clue what kind it is. Alll I have to say about the rest of the pictures is WOW! What a place to havee a vacation house. Thanks for sharing. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
Oderata  or oderata gigantia.

Offline AUTiger83

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »
Oderata or Oderata Gigantea

I think you nailed it.  Thanks for your help.

I'll have to take a couple of measurements to see if the pads truly fall in the 12" - 16" range to qualify for "gigantea" status, but I think it's a bit of a stretch.  They are large pads, so it will be close.

The photos I found of this variety online appear to be a match.  And one Florida map shows them as being native in almost every Florida county.

I had always assumed they were introduced to this pond, since I haven't found any similar water lilies in the waterways nearby (and there are miles of river, sloughs, canals, swamps, and ponds surrounding my pond).  But now, I'm not so sure.  They may have just found ideal growing conditions.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 09:30:24 PM »
Beautiful pictures, how peaceful.....you are very lucky to have something so beautiful.  The amount of lilies blooming is great.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"